Are you looking for a great career with fantastic prospects using your practical skills?
Would you love to support students and lecturers in a workshop environment?
Would you like to be trained to drive a forklift truck? And become first aid trained?
If so, Bournemouth & Poole College would like to hear from you. We are looking for a Technician in Wood & Brickwork Trades to join our successful Construction team, working at our North Road Campus and The Fulcrum facility. As our Wood and Brickwork Technician you will be part of a brilliant team of lecturers, instructors and machinists where you will be key to ensuring the students have a safe environment to work in.
Bournemouth & Poole College are the largest provider of further education and apprentices within the area. We have around 11,000 students that are from across the UK and the world. Our passion is to ensure students are qualified, find jobs and can progress in their career. We are proud to say our apprenticeships training ranks in the top 30% of colleges and we work with over 2,000 business.
What you will be doing
As a Technician in Wood and Brickwork Trades for Bournemouth & Poole College you will work across our two sites – Tower Park and North Road Campus – in Poole. You will be based in the workshops assisting the lecturers and instructors in the delivery of training programmes and the maintenance of supplies and equipment.
Other duties include:
- Preparing materials for the students to work with – then clearing/sweeping the areas
- Maintaining stock levels with the wood machinist to ensure materials are always available
- Working with the students to ensure they are working safely
- Ordering materials, negotiating discounts for the College
- Assisting machinist with setting up and operating fixed machinery
- Occasional travel to and from supplier premises
- Producing and maintaining area resources
What you will need
- First aid trained (or willingness to undertake training provided) with a knowledge of Health & Safety in use of Construction industry equipment
- Experience in a related environment with knowledge of the Construction trades (desirable)
- Personable individual with customer care skills
- Able to work well under pressure and to own initiative
- Able to meet set deadlines
- Minimum of Level 1 in construction or equivalent
- Willingness to undertake further training and CPD as required
- Forklift trained or willing to undertake training
- Skid steer trained or willing to undertake training
- Flexibility in terms of working hours
Benefits will include:
As a member of support staff at Bournemouth & Poole College you can expect to receive a market rate salary and excellent benefits including:
- 26 days annual leave plus bank holidays, increasing to 29 after 5 years' service with the College
- up to 5 days leave during the Christmas closure period
- Free parking at all of our college sites (where spaces are available)
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Enrolment into the Local Government Pension Scheme
If you feel you have what it takes for this Technician in Wood & Brickwork Trades vacancy, then please click apply and complete our application process through the college careers page.
Please be aware we only accept fully completed applications, therefore please take the time to complete our application form.
The closing date for this vacancy is 02/06/2019
Safeguarding Recruitment Statement
The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be required to undertake appropriate safeguarding checks which includes an enhanced DBS check as well as providing proof of right to work in the UK.