Electronic Design & Firmware Engineer
Our customer is currently looking to recruit a highly motivated, passionate and focused Electronic Design and Firmware Development engineer to be part of the engineering team at their facility in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK.
The role will involve PCB/Firmware development and design for electronic controllers used in the wide range of automation.
The company have an excellent reputation and build machinery for use in many type of manufacturing operation, with a focus on aerospace and automotive.
- Design and develop new electronic products and product improvements, balancing innovative engineering design, functional requirements, product safety, reliability and cost effectiveness.
- Create and maintain PCB designs and electrical schematics.
- Develop and maintain a wide range of machine control firmware (C/C++) including operator/programmer user interfaces.
- Work in compliance with the company's engineering design rules and the product development process.
- Create and maintain product and project specifications.
- Ensure that development work adheres to the requirements of design specifications and other supporting documentation.
- Play an active role in projects, team meetings etc. Liaise with other cross-functional team members, suppliers, customers and other interested parties throughout projects.
- Participate and where necessary lead design reviews, communicate ideas and solutions, influence decisions and problem solving.
- Validate and document design solutions ensuring they are robust and reliable by using relevant tools and techniques such as computerised simulation, prototyping, FMEA, life testing etc. Evaluate outcomes and act as required.
- Support the creation and maintenance of technical files as new products are designed, or existing products are changed.
- Have a detailed and thorough understanding of products, and proactively seek to learn about competitors' products.
- Provide technical support to other areas of the business when required.
- The role is office based in Sheffield, although occasional customer site visits will be required.
Required Education, Skills and Qualifications
- A degree or equivalent in a relevant engineering discipline
Minimum Essential Attributes
- At least 3 years' industry experience in electronic and firmware design.
- Proficient and experienced in the use of modern PCB design software (Altium designer preferred).
- Knowledgeable in modern general design standards.
- Proficient at researching devices, processes and market requirements.
- Proficient in the use of day to day software packages such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to work as part of a mixed-discipline team.
- 'Self-starter' capable of working with minimal guidance and solving problems using available resources.
- Excellent communication skills as there is a high level of internal and external customer contact in the role.
- A sound understanding of microprocessor electronics, interfacing to motion control and external communication devices is desirable for the role as the majority of projects involve interfacing our electronics to other vendors systems and writing the associated firmware.
- Working knowledge and experience of Altium PCB design software.
- Experience of the Analog Devices Blackfin microprocessor range and development tools.
- Experience of designing products for industrial use.
- Experience and knowledge of designing to relevant European directives and standards such as LVD, EMC, the Machinery Directive and general product safety.
- Good understanding of engineering best practice and experience designing for manufacture and maintainability.
- Is proficient in basic workshop skills and techniques to assemble and test prototype designs and products.
- Is proficient in basic electrical skills such as soldering, crimping, wire stripping, using various electronic test equipment such as DVMs and oscilloscopes.
- Experience of working within an ISO9001 environment.