Legal Assistant - Residential & Commercial Property
Our client is a leading Legal 500 firm located in the heart of Gerrards Cross (20 minutes away from London) offering quality work together with a great work/life balance. They are proud of their progressive and supportive culture that welcomes diversity, encourages personal development and rewards performance. The company offers a competitive salary, bonus scheme, pension, private medical care, life assurance, group income protection and other benefits.
They are now looking for a Legal Assistant to join their team within the Residential & Commercial Property sector and contribute to the attainment of the firm’s business objectives by
- Providing a fully effective service to clients by proactively progressing client files under the direction of the appropriate solicitors.
- Providing secretarial and administrative assistance to the group and adopting a team orientated approach at all times to ensure consistently high level of service is provided to the fee earning team.
- Taking initial client enquiries and id documentation and handle tasks under the lawyer's instructions.
- Prepare necessary Land Registry application forms, SDLT Returns and deal with follow up under supervision of lawyers.
- Preparing initial draft documents, reports and drafting letters.
- Preparing and handling completion of transactions including the preparation of completion statements
- Maintaining control of the matters to ensure that standards of matter conduct, file management, administration, time-recording and accounting are maintained at all times.
- Assist in collecting all outstanding costs and disbursements from clients and alerting the lawyers if levels of unpaid costs exceed those levels recorded as budget estimates.
- Opening, maintaining and closing client and internal files in accordance with standard procedures including performing on-line money laundering and identification checks and ensuring they are up to date at all times, preparing the relevant forms. Carrying out conflict checks on new transactions.
- Answer the telephone or meet clients who call into the office without an appointment on behalf of the Lawyers, answering queries and taking messages where appropriate and making appropriate file notes.
- Setting up and maintaining documents in Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Oyez as and when required.
- Maintain lawyers’ diaries and make appointments.
- Organise internal and external meetings including meeting room bookings and if appropriate organising refreshments.
- Undertake typing duties for fee earners (audio and copy).
- Collate work received from the outsourcing company (such as Voicepath) including arranging necessary enclosures.
- Liaise with the Accounts Department as appropriate to ensure timely and accurate accounts administration - to include paying in and request cheques, complete expenses and client entertainment forms, CHAPS payment forms.
- Dealing with enquiries regarding deeds and/or historic files and liaising, as appropriate, with relevant lawyer and/or archivist.
- Ensure all files are compliant with SRA and Lexcel requirements under supervision of lawyers.
- Experience of working within a Property Department of a Law Firm or relevant legal qualifications would be preferred/secretarial experience in a Law firm is desirable.
- Knowledge, experience and passion for property law and practices.
- Good computer literacy skills in relevant software packages - Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Oyez.