Senior Bookkeeper/Part Qualified Accountant
Introduction to Chancery Ventures Ltd
Chancery Ventures is the lead company responsible for supporting four legal tech and corporate law content companies - FromCounsel, Sparqa Legal, Juriosity and Basement Crowd Ltd. FromCounsel’s revenues more than doubled in 2018 and are expected to continue to grow strongly in FY2019 and beyond as it continues to innovate and gain market share in the corporate legal publishing space. Sparqa Legal is on the cusp of commercial launch and is set to lead the way in enabling entrepreneurs and SMEs better understand legal and regulatory issues and drive down their costs of compliance.
This is a truly exciting time to join as the business and accounting function expand, the role is partly driven by the growth in accounting complexity but also by the COO and CFO who wish to hire someone who can oversee the financial stability of the businesses, manage cash flow and ensure compliance effectively within the parameters of a strategic plan that delivers high growth.
Level 4 Senior Bookkeeper/ Semi-Senior Accountant with min. 3 years commercial experience required for this full-time role in Central London. Reporting to the FC and COO, you will be a key member of a small finance team responsible for managing the day to day accounting requirements of the Group companies
- Managing the purchase ledger to ensure all supplier and contractor invoices are accurate, approved and processed efficiently using Xero & ApprovalMax
- Providing support to the commercial teams for the production of sales invoices, ensuring invoices are coded accurately
- Maintenance of bank reconciliations, cash management, cash flow forecasting and weekly updates of expected cash receipts/payments
- Preparation of quarterly VAT returns & National Statistics
- Month end closure (balance sheet reconciliations, prepayments, accrued income/expenditure, deferred income, payroll journals)
- Intercompany recharges and reconciliations
- Expense and Company Card Management
- Supporting the Financial Controller to produce management & consolidated accounts
- Liaise with external accountants to prepare the annual statutory accounts
Skills & experience
- Level 4 Certified Bookkeeper or part- qualified Accountant.
- 3 years of full-time working experience is essential. Prior experience of working with a start-up or SME would be ideal.
- Experience of working with group companies, knowledge of VAT Groups, Transfer Pricing
- Experience with Xero
- Confident & intelligent communicator with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Energetic, self-starter, comfortable working unsupervised at times and unphased by competing deadlines.
- Demonstrable sole charge experience covering the entire cycle from inputting transactions through to delivery of management accounts for multiple group entities
- Attention to detail and strength in organisation and time management is a must
- People management - liaising with various teams to ensure timely information is provided for financial reporting and deadlines
- Advanced Excel is essential
- Good understanding of UK GAAP, IFRS, and Tax (VAT & Corp Tax)
- Would suit team player seeking exciting, fast-moving role at the forefront of legal technology development.
- Relevant accounting qualification level 4 Certified book-keeper or ACCA/CIMA/AAT (part-qualified)
- Knowledge of Xero connected Apps such as ApprovalMax
- Stripe or other payment services
Full time (Monday to Friday 37.5 hours a week), salary range £25-32k p.a. depending on experience.
We offer 25 days plus bank holidays, agile and flexible working.
We also host games nights, have a yoga instructor visit one a month (small fee per session) plus arrange charity events throughout the year.