Section Head - Construction Trades
We have an opportunity available for a Section Head - Construction Trades to join our team. You will join us on a full time, permanent basis and in return, you will receive a competitive salary of circa £40,000 per annum (negotiable depending on experience), generous annual leave entitlement, teachers’ pension and access to on-site car parking.
South Essex College is a vibrant and thriving College meeting the needs of students throughout Essex and beyond. From age 14 upwards we have courses that suit everyone including international students. Our courses are delivered by industry-trained, professional tutors at a choice of campuses.
We are now seeking an experienced senior academic manager at Head of Department level who is a highly motivated, dynamic and inspiring professional who has the desire to develop and expand the current construction provision at South Essex College.
About the role:
As our Section Head - Construction Trades, you will report to the Director of Department, taking responsibility for the day-to-day management of the construction curriculum area and be responsible for the delivery and quality of provision in that area. This will include the effective line management of staff and ensuring the area is compliant with all quality processes.
The post is full-time (37 hours per week) and a flexible approach to working hours is essential, as you will be required to work evenings on occasion. We are willing to discuss salary with the successful applicant.
South Essex College is a large college with several campuses and you will be expected to travel across sites.
Key duties and responsibilities of our Section Head - Construction Trades:
- Support the Director Engineering, Construction /PROCAT with the transition and integration of teams to ensure a learner centred approach is promoted within the Section.
- Effectively lead learning, inspire, and motivate staff to provide outstanding teaching and learning in every session they deliver.
- Achieve appropriate targets agreed with the Director Engineering, Construction / PROCAT including income for full cost provision, student recruitment, attendance, retention, achievement, value added scores and high grades.
- Ensure the safeguarding, health, safety and welfare of students and staff in the department in all aspects of your role.
- Work with teaching staff and Quality & Assessment Managers to ensure timely assessment of learners in College.
- Effectively manage the performance of staff, recognising high performance and addressing poor performance quickly and effectively.
- Maximise utilisation of staff, their skills and experience to benefit students & employers and ensure effective, cost efficient deployment and timetabling.
- Contribute to the course design and curriculum development.
Please be aware that the duties and responsibilities outlined above are not exhaustive and therefore may be altered and/or enlarged to fulfil specific management roles.
What we are looking for in our Section Head - Construction Trades:
Ideally you will hold a management qualification or have proven successful management experience within a senior management position in a large College or organisation. Holding a qualification in a relevant subject area and have experience of applying quality improvement and assurance processes, as well as tracking and monitoring a wide range of learners on a number of different programmes is essential. You should ideally also hold a teaching qualification or be willing to work towards it and undertake CPD activities.
You will also possess the below skills and experience:
- A degree in an engineering or construction subject relevant to the section you will be managing
- A recognised teaching qualification, (L6 or above)
- Proven successful experience of managing engineering and or construction curriculum
- Knowledge of developments within the FE sector
- Proven ability in managing a successful team
- Ability to analyse information and data to inform decision-making
- Proven effective communication and presentation skills
- Ability to identify and generate opportunities and contribute to the financial health of the College
If you feel that you have the required skills and experience, or would like to find out more about the role, why not click 'apply’ today to join us as our Section Head - Construction Trades - we would love to hear from you!
If appointed to this post, you will be required to apply for an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service criminal record check through the College.