IT Field Engineer Home based
This position is an essential part of the services our customer delivers. As a Field Engineer you will be heavily client facing and will often become involved with a client as they replace their entire IT Infrastructure or because they are having an on-going support issue.
The role will be a technically demanding role requiring significant relevant experience in the customer’s product range, its clients, and a relevant level of MSP support experience. The ability to play as part of a team or as an individual, whilst being able to manage and record travel and work time accurately and effectively. The ability to communicate with clients at all levels of their business (up to Director Level) in plain English (not technical jargon) is critical.
Core duties and responsibilities
- Adhere to the customer’s core vision, values and culture statement
- Understand and promote the employee ownership culture.
- Maintain, promote and encourage the highest level of service always.
- Configure and support at the network level: WAN and LAN connectivity, routers, firewalls, and security.
- Configure and support on-premises, hosted and cloud solutions for customers using technologies that meet their requirements.
- Configure and support backup and disaster recovery solutions.
- IT support relating to issues with the internal systems and network infrastructure.
- Support services for Microsoft related technologies: Windows Server, Exchange, SQL, SharePoint, etc.
- Support services for virtualization technologies: VMware and Hyper-V.
- Remote access solution design, implementation and support: VPN, and Terminal Services.
- System documentation and consulting services to include system reviews and recommendations.
- Improve customer service, perception, and satisfaction.
- Ability to work in a team and communicate effectively.
- Report service issues that cannot be completed within agreed service levels.
- Communicate to customers: keeping them informed of progress, notifying them of impending changes or agreed outages, etc.
- Business awareness: specific knowledge of the customer and how IT relates to their business strategy and goals, so that they can be correctly advised.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of the service catalogue and how it relates to customer’s needs.
- Document internal processes and procedures related to duties and responsibilities.
- Responsible for entering time and expenses in the PSA system as it occurs.
- Understand processes in PSA system by completing assigned training materials.
- Enter all work as service or project tickets into PSA system.
- Review IT publications and online materials to remain up-to-date with current and future technologies emerging in the industry.
- Work towards professional certification from relevant industry bodies such as Microsoft, Dell and Cisco.
- Field engineers should be familiar with clients’ “Top 20” VIP clients and the important personnel at these sites, as well as most other clients.
- Requirement to work evenings and weekends as the business demands
- Requirement to partake in out of hours’ support rota (24x7) for a week at a time