Paediatric Site Practitioner
Paediatric Site Practitioner
Salary: competitive +9% shift enhancement
Type: Full Time
Language: English (UK)
Work Hours: 37.5
Start Date: ASAP
Reporting to The Modern Matron, the Paediatric Site Practitioner will provide leadership and clinical support to paediatric clinical areas (including in patient, day care and out patients) on a shift by shift basis.
Out of hours they will work as part of the paediatric hospital at night clinical team to ensure a timely and appropriate response to patients' needs, in liaison with the hospital's duty manager and RMO's. The post holder will ensure HCA Healthcare UK's policies and protocols are adhered to, identifying shortfalls and intervening as necessary. The role delivers expert advice and will practice expanded clinical skills within the paediatric department working collaboratively with the multi professional team and liaising as appropriate with relevant consultants.
Benefits: We'll look after you with our contribution pension scheme, the use of all HCA facilities for acute medical conditions, annual salary review and access to a fantastic flexible benefits scheme. We can assist your with accommodation if you are living outside of London or the UK. You can expect to be working in an environment that promotes the development of your skills and knowledge.
Duties & Responsibilities
- To lead on paediatric site management within agreed policies, protocols and procedures, liaising with the hospital duty manager and senior nursing team where necessary
- Identify gaps in policy and develop new policy to support practice.
- To co-ordinate the provision of a safe environment for patients, carers and staff in accordance with Health and Safety policy.
- To take appropriate action relating to complaints, accidents and untoward incidents, involving patients, visitors and staff.
- Provide a clinically credible paediatric nursing service, demonstrating expert knowledge and clinical skills, as the practitioner responsible for the assessment of paediatric patients' needs and utilisation of appropriate resources to meet them, in association with the on-call paediatric RMO as part of the paediatric hospital at night team.
- Liaise with the hospital duty manager and senior nurses to utilise all beds efficiently. Identify any issues affecting bed utilisation such as staffing or infection concerns to the Chief Nursing Officer.
- To provide a senior nursing response in the event of a major emergency
- Work with the named and designated nurse/doctor/midwife for safeguarding children within the hospital, ensuring that safeguarding issues are managed effectively and appropriately by the relevant agencies. The post holder will demonstrate expertise and confidence in the Safeguarding agenda and undertake annual training to level three and above.
- Facilitate optimal child centred pathways of care for children across all clinical areas, including outpatients, day case, wards, PICU, radiology, theatres etc.
- To provide a calm, supportive and problem solving approach to situations.
- To lead on the achievement of length of stay reduction and efficiency within the paediatric wards/outpatients service from a nursing perspective, and working collaboratively with the multi professional team to remove obstructions to discharge.
- Promote and display the "Positively Portland" values: greetings, respect, teamwork, initiative, responsibility and acknowledgment"
- To monitor nursing staffing levels and skill mix out of hours and liaise with ward sisters to ensure safe and efficient staffing levels at all times. T
- To inform ward sisters of any staffing issues highlighted out of hours eg, sickness, non attendance at work, performance issues.
- Liaise with the Bank Office out of hours regarding booking of shifts as appropriate and changes to be made to MAPS rotas/ workforce planning tool in relation to bank/ substantive staff.
Skills & Experience
- NMC Child Registered Nurse with basic paediatric life support.
- Experience of delivering advanced practice/patient assessment
- Level 3 safeguarding training undertaken within the last 12 months
- Ability to lead a team
- Organisation and management skills.
Do not hesitate to contact me ext 1218