Senior Project Manager
Job Title - Senior Project Manager
Location - Milton Keynes - The Quadrant
Rates - £333.24 - £426.19 per day
In Scope of IR35
About the role / project:
Network Rail are looking for a project development manager to join them. The Senior Project Manager is required to take lead on the technical project deliveries for the property portfolio including the Horizon Property Management Application Upgrade. You will take full accountability for the delivery, to agreed timescales, budget and quality of projects (or small groupings of projects/portfolios) into one or more of the following Network Rail domains: i) Application Development or Enhancement, ii) IT Infrastructure, iii) Support for Business Process Change, iv) Business Programme Level Management.
What you will do:
- Provide a professional, consistent and effective project management service to clients in accordance with Network Rail and Group Business Services governance processes and standards.
- Manage teams of required specialists in order to deliver projects or small groupings of projects/portfolio of projects in accordance with NRIM agreed technical standards and guidelines as described in the Service Development Lifecycle.
- Proactively manage potential conflicts, e.g. between return on investment associated with the benefits case, and technical compliance, engaging specialist expertise as required and confirm project alignment with Business / IT strategy as necessary.
- Act as mentor / coach to more junior project managers (Project Manager 3) in order to develop NRIM capability in project management.
- Build and maintain relationships with business representatives and stakeholders so that expectations are managed. Act as the primary point of contact for the project or portfolio and work closely with the client to manage issues and concerns.
- Support Project Manager 1 in the process of project prioritisation, approval and initiation.
- Establish partnership assurance-styled relationships to drive efficiencies and effectiveness from the supplier contract, taking appropriate action to resolve issues and escalate as appropriate.
- Engage with Strategic Sourcing partners to achieve contracts and formal documents with the appropriate levels of risk and responsibility avoiding any duplication of supplier responsibility and protecting NR against supplier failure.
- Manage project finances, change control and progress reporting to GBS standards and provide all cost, contingency and project / programme details to the Sponsor to demonstrate traceability of costs to the project.
Your experience will include:
- Significant project management experience of either large IT application development projects (i.e. >£1 million and >10 people) or large IT infrastructure projects.
- Experience in the use of a project planning tool (e.g. Primavera or Microsoft Project).
- Proven track record in managing the delivery of IT solutions via third party suppliers.
- Knowledge and experience of applying a range of delivery, development, and software engineering life cycles, e.g. waterfall, RAD, JAD, DSDM, Agile
- Formal Project Management qualification (e.g. APMP, PRINCE2, PMIP, Managing Successful Programmes).
- Solid experience in project planning tools and critical path management at project / portfolio level.
- Strong financial management skills
- Proven ability in commercial and contractual issues, and resolving issues amicably and without damage to the project critical path or funding constraints
- Ability to drive value from Suppliers
The following leadership capabilities are expected for this role, with one/two leadership capabilities periodically reaching 'Role Model' level and three/four consistently reaching 'Good/Adds Value' level.
- Tracking Performance
- Building Teams
- Making Things Happen
- Influencing Others
- Thinking Flexibly
- Communicating Clearly
What you'll get in return
Network Rail (powered by Capita), understand what it is like to work as a contractor and do everything they can to make it a simple process for you - this includes a dedicated Onboarding and extension teams and access to a web-based timesheet portal giving you an ability to access and submit your timesheets wherever you are.
About our client - Network Rail
Network Rail is at the operational centre of the railway and playing a key role in a rapidly evolving industry. We are responsible for rebuilding Britain's railway infrastructure and are managing some of the biggest and most complex engineering programmes in Europe. Over the next five years we will be spending around £23 billion to maintain and upgrade every aspect of an infrastructure that comprises 21,000 miles of track, 2,500 stations, 9,000 level crossings, 40,000 bridges and tunnels, and signalling and power for the movement of 25,000 trains every day.
What we hope you will do next
Help us find out more about you by completing our short application process - Click apply now. You will then be directed to a Capita owned microsite that will assist you with your application. Once completed you will then be contacted by the relevant recruiter.
Network Rail welcomes applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other irrelevant factor. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.