Purpose of the role:
The Design Manager is a key appointment within the existing Engineering team. The role is to provide leadership and management to the existing design engineering team.
Working under the Head of Engineering the Design Manager will manage a multidisciplinary team including structural, process and mechanical teams. The role will involve working closely with managers of the electrical and controls, fabrication and operations team.
As the head of design, the role requires experience of leading design teams, managing resources, ensuring design quality and ensuring senior design engineers are working to company policies and systems.
This position will report directly to the Head of Engineering. The role is ideally suited to someone who enjoys managing a team of people, working on turnkey engineering projects and is not afraid to make design decisions whilst protecting the risk of the business.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the provision of design resource to meet design programmes and engage with project stakeholders across the business.
- Report design progress and financials to Head of Engineering on a regular basis.
- Help create, implement and manage company methodology and processes and ensure that all design projects are run in accordance with new and existing systems.
- Manage multidisciplinary concept designs and costings and assist in tender and sales preparation including specification writing.
- Manage multidisciplinary engineers through detailed designs and costings and preparation of bills of materials and specification writing. Ensure all detailed designs meet technical and quality standards before issuing.
- Responsible for controlling project financials in design, taking tendered budgets and ensuring designs are developed to meet commercial requirements. Aim to increase project GM’s in design whilst achieving all requirements and standards.
- Ensure comprehensive design and specification packages are handed over to Operations Team with detailed costs and budgets.
- Manage and assist in the resolution of problems and issues on site as they occur.
- Conduct design review meetings with engineers of all disciplines involved in the project - evaluating key lessons learnt and implementing changes as necessary.
- Liaise with Sales/Estimating and Operations Team to ensure that the required engineering support and training is available.
- Ensure that design health and safety procedures are implemented monitored and adhered to.
- Review your team’s CPD needs to ensure they stay up to date with technological advancements and developments.
- Recruit team members in line with the budget, company procedures and approval processes as required.
- Ensure that reporting to the client is carried out professionally and to the required frequency.
- Line manager responsibilities for all design staff including annual appraisals etc.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of Degree qualified within Building Services, Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
- Chartered Engineer with professional body registration such as CIBSE or IET.
- Knowledge and understanding of structural, HVAC and electrical engineering (not all essential).
- Management of design resources and project budgets before handover to operations.
- Business focused with the drive to ensure project GM’s are maintained and improved through design.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, a strong collaborator with team working skills.
- Experience in implementation of Quality Management Systems and processes within a design environment.