Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Purpose of your role:
As a Senior Design Engineer the role is a key appointment within the existing mechanical team. The role requires a senior level engineer to help lead the mechanical engineering activities, providing detailed design engineering as well as working closely with the sales/estimating team to provide concept designs, estimates and budgets to a wide-ranging variety of projects.
This position will report directly to the Design Manager. This role is ideally suited to an engineer who can take the lead on all mechanical engineering and has a wide breadth of knowledge of HVAC.
The candidate will need to support the site operations team and be able to make informed decisions on all HVAC matters. The role will suit somebody who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment, working with multiple disciplines, new technologies and new concepts.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Review enquiries with the mechanical team and agree a concept design for all HVAC systems.
- Provide concept designs and costings and assist in tender preparation including specification writing.
- Development of initial concept designs to full detailed design on successful projects - taking the lead of the mechanical team as required.
- Produce detailed designs for a wide range of systems which will include sizing of chillers, air conditioning, AHU’s, pipework, air flows etc.
- Calculate heat losses, heat demands, flow rates, pump/fan sizes, pipe/duct sizes etc.
- Have a solid understanding of HVAC control to be able to liaise with the controls team to agree a control philosophy and assist creation of descriptions of operation.
- Responsible for leading mechanical designs to agreed project budgets and ensuring all team members take financial responsibility in design.
- Assist in the preparation of bills of materials.
- Ensure comprehensive design and specification packages are handed over to the Operations Team with detailed costs and budgets.
- Attend project meetings internally and with clients as required.
- Assist in the resolution of problems and issues on site as they occur.
- Prepare documentation for the Operation and Maintenance manual, obtaining copies of warranties, certificates and "as fitted" drawings as necessary.
- Support the customer post installation and answer queries.
- Post Project Evaluation of Key Lessons Learnt.
- Review your CPD needs with your line manager to ensure you stay up to date with technological advancements and developments in the mechanical sector.
- Attend design meetings, and others as required, to provide project and enquiries updates.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience using software packages such as IES and Hevacomp etc.
- A good understanding Psychrometric data and humidity control.
- Experience of renewable technology and CHP is desirable but not essential.
- Minimum of Degree qualified within Building Services, Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
- Chartered Engineer or working towards with professional body registration such as CIBSE or IET.
- Strong technical experience essential.