Actuarial Consultant - Retirement
Summary of Role
As a Retirement Consultant (Qualified Actuary) you will apply your consulting, actuarial, and project management expertise in the areas of scheme valuation and design, compliance and risk & financial management to FTSE 100 and other organisations of similar size. You will help both trustee and corporate clients achieve their evolving commercial objectives by aligning their defined benefit plans accordingly.
Given the size and complexity of our client portfolio, you will have the opportunity to support diverse projects related to mergers & acquisitions, asset liability studies, forecasting, early retirement windows and other special projects as needed. You will also be instrumental in designing and keeping our range of internal and external consulting tools at the leading edge of technological advances.
We are looking to develop dynamic consultants who operate at the leading edge.
As a Retirement Consultant (Qualified Actuary) you will work as part of a team on a wide variety of complex projects. You will serve as a key resource for the consultant in charge of each of your engagements by performing many aspects of the client work. As you grow and gain more expertise, you will increase your contact with clients and take on project manager roles for larger projects. We work with a wide range of clients, working on cutting edge projects. You'll have the opportunity to be involved in some innovative and market leading work.
We structure our teams so that you get to work with a variety of colleagues, providing exposure to different ways of working. We also have defined career paths to ensure you can see how you can progress within the company, whether this be towards a scheme actuarial, business development, people management or broader role.
Your work will cover both Trustee & Corporate assignments and you will contribute to varied and interesting projects such as:
- Integrated risk management
- Liability management
- Plan design strategy in the context of broader total rewards strategy
- Pension plan financial management
- Asset/liability modelling
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Understand UK legislative environment particularly in relation to the governance of different types of pension arrangements and understanding the tax regime
- Complete work in accordance with: various accounting standards, guidance from Department for Work & Pensions, the Pensions Regulator and the PPF, compliance with the Financial Reporting Council and Institute and Faculty of Actuaries standards, Scheme Specific Funding requirements
- Contribute to due diligence for mergers and acquisitions including estimating costs and challenges of integration
- Contribute to retirement plan risk assessment and mitigation
- Prepare the first draft of deliverables for review by the consultant to cover both Trustee & Corporate assignments
- Deliver work in accordance to project deadlines
- Serve as the project manager and main liaison to the lead consultant which includes:
- creating project plans,
- monitoring progress to deadlines and budget,
- scheduling and managing regular update calls,
- ensuring appropriate and effective communication among team members and the client
- Build relationships internally and collaborate effectively on cross-functional teams
- Demonstrate natural ease and effectiveness when dealing with clients/colleagues at all levels
- Take an active interest in the development of more junior staff, sharing in detail the completion of routine tasks
- Client/Account Management
- Deliver on projects to meet or exceed client expectations
- Increase efficiency within client teams by identifying ways to improve processes
- Financial/Revenue Generation
- Meet chargeable hours targets
- Contribute to sales and marketing efforts by drafting proposals and responding to RFPs
- FIA qualified (or equivalent) or part-qualified essential.
- Experience and expertise delivering retirement consulting services to FTSE 100 or organisations of similar size is ideal
- An excellent track record in delivering core retirement and bespoke project work as well as the ability to contribute to cross-practice client engagements
- Proven experience in successfully managing multiple projects and producing quality deliverables on time and within budget
- Strong sense of personal accountability
- Thrives in a fast-paced and sometimes unpredictable, working environment
- Excellent client relationship, interpersonal and team skills
- Obvious leadership potential
- Ambitious and achievement oriented
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a client team
- A strong personal presence with well-developed and polished oral and written communication skills
- Inquisitive, self-starter and attitude and ability to work with ambiguity
- Flexibility and proven ability to diagnose and resolve issues
- Strong analytical and creative skills
- Proven delegation skills and a natural desire to coach and mentor junior associates
- The ability to see the "big picture"
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills, particularly Excel and PowerPoint
Willis Towers Watson (NASDAQ: WLTW) is a leading global advisory, broking and solutions company that helps clients around the world turn risk into a path for growth. With roots dating to 1828, Willis Towers Watson has 45,000 employees serving more than 140 countries and markets. We design and deliver solutions that manage risk, optimize benefits, cultivate talent, and expand the power of capital to protect and strengthen institutions and individuals. Our unique perspective allows us to see the critical intersections between talent, assets and ideas - the dynamic formula that drives business performance. Together, we unlock potential. Learn more at willistowerswatson.com.
Willis Towers Watson is an equal opportunity employer