Plant Manager - Swindon
Job reference number 102868
Plant Manager - Swindon - LVL06
Swindon Mail Centre
Royal Mail offers a competitive salary package including comprehensive benefits; pension, car, health plan, generous annual leave allowance and much more.
About the role
At Royal Mail, continuous improvement is at the heart of our operation.
We are seeking a highly driven leader to drive the operation as Plant Manager at our Swindon Mail Centre.
Reporting into the Service Delivery Leader, this key operational role is responsible for ensuring our Plant runs smoothly, delivering the processing plan in a safe, customer focussed and commercially driven manner. This fast paced role will give you the chance to have real impact throughout the business by driving and implementing national change initiatives, developing the business plan for 2019/20 and working to achieve all unit and personal KPI’s.
Swindon Mail Centre processes 10 million items every week, and this increases to 20m per week at peak times. The role of the Plant Manager is to transform the site into a continuously improving organisation, providing leadership that creates enthusiasm and inspires people across all levels of the business to act and embrace positive change and build a culture of high performance and climate for success.
You will lead a diverse team of middle and senior managers, holding overall responsibility for performance management by directing and developing the plant teams to ensure customer quality performance is consistently achieved through compliance to standards.
You will drive the key performance indicators across Safety, Quality, Cost and People using continuous improvement and minimising waste in all its forms. You will have ultimate responsibility for 350 employees, and a budget of £20m.
At Royal Mail, Health and Safety is key. You will take ownership of Health, safety and legal compliance for the Plant, where you will promote a positive safety culture ensuring that safety responsibilities are established within the management structure and accountability for safety is clearly identified, documented and understood.
You will also lead HR activity on the site and ensure that day to day performance and compliance to process, along with business planning and national change initiatives are effectively integrated into the management process for the plant. You will proactively engage and build relationships with both internal and external customers within the pipeline, and union colleagues.
This is your opportunity to be at the very centre of our operation. As the Plant Manager you have a real opportunity to make a genuine difference to the business and gain national exposure.
What are we looking for?
• Demonstrable experience of leading a large operation including planning and forecasting, process and pipeline management, and commercial outlook,
• Safety knowledge and experience PIC, IOSH and NEBOSH qualifications desirable
• Expert leadership, communication and people development skills
• Proven track record of achieving KPIs and taking action to improve results for the business, customer and employee.
• Experience of process management & constantly striving for improvement including good understanding of continuous improvement methodologies.
• Problem solving – proven problem analysis & problem solving capabilities using advanced problem solving tools and route cause analysis
• Building trade union relations and influencing positive business change.
• SIX Sigma or black belt qualification or equivalent/experience
• Degree level qualifications or equivalent/experience
At Royal Mail we connect companies, customers and communities across the country, delivering a ‘one-price-goes-anywhere’, universal postal service to more than 30 million addresses. As a FTSE 100 Company, we are focused on being recognised as the best delivery company in the UK and across Europe.
We are an inclusive employer with equality, diversity and fairness at the heart of our values. We welcome applications from individuals from all different backgrounds and are committed to promoting fair participation and equality of opportunity for all of our job applicants.
Closing Date: Tuesday 30th April, 2019
Manager, Performance Management, Six Sigma, Six Sigma Black Belt, Management, Human Resources