In particular you will:
- Raise awareness of the Youth Zone amongst the whole community including young people, partners, funders and potential patrons/ donors
- Engage with young people, Wigan Youth Zone team and different stakeholders to really understand and be able to convey Wigan Youth Zone offer and how this aligns with local and national priorities
- Portray a positive image of young people, their achievements, development, voice, contribution etc.
- Produce high quality, creative and modern communications that really captivate the target audience and reflect Wigan Youth Zone’s brand values
Context of the post
Youth Zones are amazing places: accessible, vibrant, welcoming, fun and caring are just some of the words used by young people to describe their Youth Zone. Wigan Youth Zone, which opened in June 2013 is no exception, and is part of the OnSide network of eight Youth Zones. Youth Zones are for young people aged 8 to 19, and up to 25 for young people with additional needs.
Wigan Youth Zone is centrally located, dedicated to young people and makes a bold statement about the importance of giving young people high quality places to go in their leisure time. Open 7 days a week, at weekends and during school holidays, the Youth Zone’s purpose is to give young people a space so they can be happy, healthy and successful adults. The state-of-the-art £6.2 million building provides young people with access to a range of activities, offering all young people the opportunity to try new things, meet new friends and gain support from friendly, warm and positive staff and volunteers. The facilities include four 3G pitches, a gym, sports hall, climbing wall, training kitchen recreation area, and dance, arts, skate park, music and media suites.
Duties and Responsibilities - General
- Work within the performance framework of Wigan Youth Zone and OnSide;
- Represent Wigan Youth Zone positively and effectively in all dealings with internal colleagues, and external partners;
- To be alert to issues of safeguarding and child protection, ensuring the welfare and safety of Youth Zone members is promoted and safeguarded, and to report any child protection concerns to the designated Child Protection Officers using the safeguarding policies, procedures and practice (training to be provided).
- To assist with any promotional activities and visits that take place at the Youth Zone;
- To actively promote the Youth Zone and positively contribute towards increasing Youth Zone membership;
- To adhere to Wigan Youth Zone policies at all times, with particular reference to Health and Safety, Safeguarding and Equal Opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities - Detailed
- To lead on the development and implementation of the Youth Zone’s Communications and Marketing strategy including a digital communications strategy;
- Maintain and develop Wigan Youth Zone’s online content (website and social media) in liaison with Wigan Youth Zone’s staff team, young people and external stakeholders in an accurate and timely way;
- Use analytics to monitor and improve the effectiveness and reach of Wigan Youth Zone’s online presence;
- Build positive relationships with key local and regional media to build Wigan Youth Zone’s profile and brand identity generating positive coverage and dissemination of key messages;
- Clearly communicating impact and the case for support of Wigan Youth Zone to support the fund raising efforts of the Board of Directors, Executive Directors and other relevant staff;
- Develop a comprehensive P.R. service and manage all media enquiries;
- Plan and co-ordinate / produce as appropriate a wide range of communications and marketing materials both on - and off-line including the research, content, writing, editing and design;
- Act as the guardian of Wigan Youth Zone’s brand, ensuring consistency of presentation and the further development and implementation of guidelines around visual identity, promoting good practice and training colleagues as appropriate;
- Stay abreast of external communications trends, highlighting where new approaches might be beneficial and champion new technology, learn new skills and then train and enthuse others to put these into practice;
- Develop policies for communication and marketing in line with other relevant Youth Zone policies and ensure that they are consistently deployed;
- Work with young people directly, obtaining case studies and supporting young people to tell their own stories;
- Work with colleagues to develop mechanisms to capture content from the young people and ensure communication of a coherent brand;
- Act as the champion and expert for communication and marketing activity within Wigan Youth Zone supporting and developing the skills of colleagues and acting as spokesperson on behalf of Wigan Youth Zone in the absence of the Executive Director and Youth Work Manager;
- Coordinating internal communications, keeping the Youth Zone team connected;
- Contribute to the organisation and management of events to promote and raise funds for the Youth Zone;
- Work with OnSide’s and other Youth Zone Communications Managers to share best practice;
- Liaise with communication and marketing counterparts in partner/donor organisations to support fundraising and development activity and maximise opportunities relating to these areas;
- Carry out any other reasonable duties as requested by management.