The Norton Rose Fulbright Global Compliance Team is led by a Global Head of Compliance (based in the US) who is supported by a Head of Compliance in each of the five Norton Rose Fulbright Member Firms (based in London, Canada, South Africa, Australia and the US). The Head of Compliance for each Member Firm is assisted by a compliance team in their location comprising compliance lawyers, officers and assistants.
As a global law firm, Norton Rose Fulbright is required to comply with a range of laws, regulations and professional rules in each jurisdiction that we practise. Failure to comply could be a breach of professional standards rules or a criminal, or in some cases civil, offence. The Global Compliance Team is responsible for overseeing compliance with those laws and regulations in order to avoid penalties and damage to our reputation that would result from a breach.
The role will be based in Newcastle and report to the Compliance Team Manager based in Newcastle. The Firm’s business acceptance work covers two primary areas: client due diligence and conflicts management. The role will involve work across both of these areas but predominantly focus on conflict management, including:
- Undertaking conflict searches, analysing reports, escalating potential issues for resolution to the Compliance Team Manager
- An understanding of the Firm’s key strategic objectives, ensuring that new business intake is in line with the global strategy of the Firm and compliant with our existing client base from a legal and commercial standpoint.
- Advising fee earners and PAs on the Firm’s policies and procedures.
- Explaining to fee earners and PAs information required to comply with the various regulatory requirements.
- Guiding and training fee earners and PAs on the use of the compliance systems.
- Setting up and checking new clients and matters; maintaining records.
- Monitoring regulatory requirements and updates of the legal profession in relevant jurisdictions.
- Carrying out and critically evaluating research on companies and underlying risk issues associated with a new mandate with a key eye for identifying and holistically evaluating all facets of the deal taking into account: political, economic and commercial considerations.
- Ensuring that the regulations (such as AML directives; Sanctions; SRA Code of Conduct) are adhered to within the Firm.
- Taking ownership of new business intake matters, carrying out the full risk analysis and liaising with the various stakeholders to the matter, including Partners and associates, communicating the progess of the matter at all stages to the interested parties.
- Liaising internationally with the Compliance Teams at other Norton Rose Fulbright Member Firms to resolve compliance issues.
Skills and Experience Required
- Have an interest in Risk and Compliance with a key interest in developing knowledge of the commercial, political and risk issues affecting our business.
- Excellent Computer skills with an ability to switch between different database interfaces and online tools.
- Excellent aptitude for research and familiarity with online research tools.
- Ability to critically evaluate a number of different sources, identifying the key risk issues.
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to prioritise different work streams.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Accuracy and an eye for detail.
- Demonstrate flexibility and ability to operate within a global team.
At Norton Rose Fulbright we welcome receiving direct candidate applications via our careers page.
If you would like to ask any specific questions beforehand, please contact Barbara Szlajnda (enquiries only please - we do not accept applications by email)
NO AGENCIES PLEASE