Commercial Lawyer - 12 months fixed-term contract
We are looking for a high calibre 12 month maternity cover commercial lawyer to help us negotiate major multi-million pound contracts and get involved in all legal matters, but also with the possibility of project managing major tender responses.
What is the role?
We are looking for someone to cover our senior commercial lawyer while she is on maternity leave. The role is for at least 12 months, although due to our growth there is absolutely the possibility that this role could become permanent.
You will be working with another Commercial Lawyer and our COO (also a lawyer) on all legal matters affecting Newton. A large part of this comprises the drafting and negotiation of multi-million pound client contracts (regularly in the tens of millions of pounds) with major companies and institutions in the private, public and defence sectors.
Legal work will also involve:
- Data protection (including data sharing agreements with public sector clients)
- Supply contracts
- Trademarks and IP
- Employment law and contracts
- Public procurement law
- Software licences and IT contracts
However, the role is wider than just being a lawyer. You will, in addition, be involved in important quasi-legal and non-legal areas including:
- The proactive project management of all aspects of client contracts from start to finish
- Preparing and project managing (and helping to write) tender responses for mainly public sector multi million pound projects
- Heavy involvement in advising public sector clients on tender frameworks and the possible ways to procure our services, and running procurement programmes
- Involvement in many key internal improvement projects
Your education, skills and experience
You’ll be a high calibre individual, with exceptional levels of personal drive and eagerness for personal development. An analytical mind, coupled with strong interpersonal and communication skills and a positive attitude are essential to fit into the Newton culture. The successful candidate will also possess the following attributes and qualifications:
- Strong knowledge of English contract law
- Good experience of drafting and negotiating commercial contracts (this will include public sector contracts, but a specialism in this is not necessary)
- Pragmatic, commercial negotiation approach
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including clear oral and written communication - excited by the prospect of developing new relations (both internally and externally)
- Strong IT skills, and a lack of fear of working with new systems
- Numerate, logical
- Excellent organisational skills, ability to multi-task and organise
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively on own initiative
- Focus and commitment
- Ability to work under pressure and be flexible as part of a small team
- Ability to think ahead and anticipate needs before they arise
- A pleasure to work with
- Sense of humour
- Keen to achieve more
- "Makesure" mentality; superb attention to detail
- Prior experience of company secretarial work preferred
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister, with at least 3 years PQE
- Driving licence, as there is occasional travel with this role
How do we develop and reward you?
Newton’s culture is prefaced on maximising the potential of our people, whether in client-based consulting roles, or in support functions. The prospects for career and personal development in this role are no exception, with the medium-term expectation of progression within the People team (or more broadly within the rapidly growing head office).
Supporting you starts from day one. Throughout your time at Newton, you’ll get support from several sources - from stretching projects, on-the-job feedback and developmental guidance from our leaders. You’ll have a dedicated and consistent Development Manager to support your career progression. You’ll receive regular appraisals and annual pay reviews.
We offer a highly competitive salary, with a share of profits, and our generous benefits package includes Life Assurance, Income Protection, pension contributions and 29 days’ holiday.
Joining us also brings many social benefits! We have a full social calendar with Autumn and Spring activity days, Christmas events, 3-day Summer event and 4 Newton-sponsored weekends a year.
Who are Newton?
We’re a team of the brightest and most curious minds with a fundamental belief that every organisation can be better.
We crack some of the toughest business and public-sector challenges of the day. Not with reports or copy & paste thinking. But by pinpointing and implementing the changes that will make the biggest difference.
We never start out assuming we know the answer. But we’re always certain we’ll find it and see it through to the finish. By uncovering the data that means the most important decisions are made with facts, not opinions. By bringing together a group of people who live and breathe delivering results. And by embedding in your organisation this same passion, self-belief and know-how to thrive on any challenge in the future.
We believe so strongly in what we can achieve together that we stand by the founding idea of Newton - guaranteeing 100% of our fees against delivering results that are recognised by everyone, from the frontline to the boardroom.
We demand better in everything we do. We think you should too.