Male Carer / Personal Assistant
Male Carer / Personal Assistant - Part-time
About the job
This is great opportunity to support a man in his own home. You will form part of a small team, working to support our client to engage in a range of activities at home and in the local area. This will include participating in a range of sporting and therapeutic activities. You will be required to provide personal and domestic care for our client, as well as being able to drive him to various community based activities and appointments.
Day to day you will be responsible for helping our client to maintain a dignified and independent life, as advised by the case manager and members of the wider multi-disciplinary team. Daily activities include providing personal care, cooking meals, taking him out to access the community, assisting with the implementation of his rehabilitation programme and promoting choice and independence. Building relationships with our client and other members of the team is key to this role.
Experience of care work and of working with individuals with a spinal cord injury would be beneficial to ensure that we meet the needs of our client.
Personal assistant requirements
- Caring, honest and trustworthy
- Reliable, patient and tolerant
- Able to use your own initiative
- Approachable, flexible with shift patterns and adaptable
- Physically fit as you will be providing manual handling and support in a range of sporting activities including swimming.
- Willing and able to work under the guidance of the team leader and case manager
- Able to work with others whilst following clear guidelines
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Able to maintain good relationships and work within a team
- Willing and able to learn new skills. Training will be provided
- Resourcefulness and to be able to demonstrate a 'can do’ positive attitude with consistency and patience
- Understands dignity & respect
- Understanding of confidentiality and Data Protection
- Basic IT skills
Please note, only male personal assistants will be considered due to the nature of the care: this is an exception under the Equality Act 2010, Schedule 9, part 1, Paragraph 1.
The hours required are currently planned to be working Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays each week, however you may be required to work other days/shifts as required.
Essential Skills / Experience
- Driving licence
- Experience of working with individuals with a disability
Ideally experience of working with clients with a spinal cord injury
Flexibility to be able to work additional shifts if required, or to travel or stay away when needed.
Monday to Friday Day shift - £13 per hour
Saturday to Sunday Day shift- £15 per hour