Technical Design Manager
Location: Grantham or Westbury
Sector: Manufacturing (Packaging)
Package: Basic Salary up to £45,000 (dependant on experience) plus Bonus
& other excellent PLC Company Benefits
Macfarlane Group PLC is the UK’s largest packaging distributor and we are seeking to appoint an experienced Technical Design Manager to join our established manufacturing team and oversee our design & estimating departments whilst using CAD (including Solidworks) to work hands on in leading lead key design projects for our customers. Please note this role could potentially be based at either of our manufacturing sites based in Grantham, Lincs or Westbury, Wilts - but regular travel is required between both sites). Our specialist manufacturing division designs and produces bespoke protective packaging solutions which are designed exclusively for customers in safeguarding their products in transit. Our customers are UK wide and span a number of key verticals including: Aerospace, Defence, Electronics, Industrial and Medical.
Technical Design Manager Role
Reporting to the Managing Director, you will be responsible for overall management of the Design & Estimating departments, helping additional new business by offering new solutions to Customers problems whilst identifying & promoting technical improvements to the range of existing products & services offered by Macfarlane Packaging. Additionally, you will lead on key design projects for customers, using CAD skills (including Solidworks) to design solutions whilst also investigating new products (NPD) & services that may enhance the portfolio.
Technical Design Manager Key Duties
Whilst not exhaustive, below are the key duties involved within this role…
- Leading key design projects and working hands on using CAD & Solidworks to produce design led, bespoke packaging solutions to meet the customer need.
- Direct management of the team of designers & estimators, conducting P&D reviews, carry out return to work interviews for subordinates.
- Focus the resources of the new business departments on maximizing profitable opportunities
- Measure the financial contribution made by each designer and each design department
- Ensure a sales development plan is in place for all new business personnel and that this is reviewed regularly
- Pro-actively suggest new sales channels and alternative product opportunities in line with the company strategy
- Organize site visits to Customers when required
- Quality assurance: Complete review of design processes, link all departments in process chain for new product introduction. Review change controls.
- Technical development of Staff, Customers & Group: Raise level of understanding on capabilities & capacities. Promote packaging standards.
- Product Range & services: Review & re-establish minimum level. Review new products & services.
- Develop testing facility capable of testing customers packaged products.
- Attend Senior Management Team meetings and supply statistical information and reports, prepare & deliver presentations as required
- Support and promote the continuous improvement philosophy to generate further savings
- Ensure effective and regular communication takes place, develop good working relationships with internal and external parties
Do you have the correct profile?
In order to apply you must be an experienced manager with a technical bias, hands-on experience of leading design & estimating teams within a manufacturing environment. You must have strong CAD Design skills, including Solidworks and be able to evidence experience of having worked hands-on in designing bespoke solutions for customers.
Aside from being an effective man-manager you will also have strong commercial skills (including interpretation of P&L & Balance Sheet reporting) coupled with the ability to
prepare business cases for capital investment justifications and any other project plans.
In line with the key duties outlined above, your experience to date will have provided you exposure to the majority of these, including involvement at senior management level, planning meetings and presentations. All of this will be underpinned by a proactive approach with first class customer experience at the heart of your ethos. Prior experience within manufactured packaging solutions would be advantageous as would exposure to any of our key vertical markets within Aerospace, Defence, Electronics, Industrial and Medical. You will reside within a sensible commute of either of our sites (Grantham or Westbury) or alternatively be able and willing to relocate within a reasonable timeframe (full UK driving licence also required for customer visits and travelling between sites).
In return we offer a competitive basic starting salary along with an attractive performance/profit linked bonus scheme and a flexible employee benefits scheme that includes: up to 33 days annual leave (includes all bank holidays and service increase) & contributory pension scheme. Macfarlane Group is also dedicated to maximizing every employee’s potential, by providing career development plans and pathways in an environment that fosters personal growth and continuous improvement.
This is an urgent yet key hire for us whereby we are taking the time required to identify the best available individual, albeit with a view to having someone commence ASAP. Shortlisted applicants can therefore expect to be invited swiftly for local interviews (either in Grantham or Westbury) during the coming weeks. To make an application please simply click 'apply’ ensuring that your CV is up to date and relevant. Please note that all shortlisted candidates can expect to hear back from us within five working days of making their application. If you do not therefore hear back within that timeframe, please assume that your application has not been successful on this particular occasion.
NO RECRUITMENT AGENCIES PLEASE