Development and Sensory Technologist
We have an opportunity for a Development and Sensory Technologist to join our team based in Irthlingborough, on a Sandwich year placement.
Whitworths are the UK’s leader in dried fruits, nuts and seeds. We’re proud to be widely recognised and trusted by our working partners, international suppliers and, most importantly, by millions of customers as manufacturers of innovative, tasty, healthy products.
As our Development and Sensory Technologist, you will work as part of the NPD team delivering outstanding and relevant product development, ensuring the efficient and controlled progression of products, from kitchen concept through to launch; translating blue sky and innovative ideas, and customer briefs (internal and external) into exciting products that delight our customers and our consumers.
Why work for Whitworths?
There are many reasons to come and work with us, but the biggest reason is so that you have a job you love and a company you are proud to say you work for. You will receive a competitive salary and in addition, you’ll also have access to;
- 25 days holiday + all public holidays recognised in the UK
- A workplace pension
- Life assurance and on-site occupational health
- Plus the Company offers a number of family friendly; health and life style benefits
What you will be doing as our Development and Sensory Technologist?
- Lead the development of NPD projects, with support, to deliver concepts that excite and engage our consumers.
- Apply your knowledge of trends and insight to the development of new products and recipes.
- Identify opportunities in current ranges to improve the quality of our products and lead the development work in cost saving initiatives.
In addition, you will be sourcing new raw materials – liaising with procurement team for sourcing and then working cross functionally to jointly screen for project suitability. You will need to manage your key stakeholders, developing networks internally and externally to aid comprehensive product understanding and to organise samples for development work and raw materials for factory trials. You will also prepare and lead handover meetings, collating relevant project information, which needs to be shared with clarity to cross-functional teams, to approve raw materials and/or products for factory trials.
You will represent the NPD team and participates as a subject matter expert (SME) in project, supplier meetings and internal sales and marketing meetings.
As part of our product development, you will be responsible for the preparation of samples for taste panels, support in the delivery of Sensory training workshop, run benchmarking sessions, analyse results, report findings and propose recommendations to stakeholders.
There is also back of pack and website recipes, where you will develop exciting culinary recipes, using nutrition knowledge to add creative healthy twists (where possible) and showcase our products’ versatility in sweet and savoury recipes.
Our ideal Development and Sensory Technologist will have the following skills and experience:
- Min 5 x GCSE’s including passes at English and Mathematics
- Graduate/Undergraduate in a food science, culinary or related discipline
- Proven baking experience
- Experience in working with ambient/bakery ranges
- Having been involved in running and analyzing sensory panels and results
- Worked within an NPD environment or be familiar with concept to launch process
- Have some experience of good project management
At Whitworths we love to nurture talent and retain great people, as a result there are significant development opportunities within the marketing team for the right people so don’t worry about career progression as there is plenty of opportunity for that here at Whitworths!
If you think you have the skills and experience required to join the Whitworth’s family as our Development and Sensory Technologist then click ‘apply’ now! We look forward to receiving your application.