Pensions Benefit Team Leader
To support and assist in the management, financial control and administration of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) and other related legislation for the Council and its employees, with responsibility for and control of specified duties, ensuring that the service is provided in line with the Council’s Quality Principles. To support the Deputy Pensions Manager in the development of projects and e-solutions to obtain greater efficiencies. To assist in managing and improving all aspects of the Pensions Service.
1.To deputise for the Deputy/Pensions Manager in their absence to ensure the efficient operation of the Office, providing direction to the available resources as required; including the statutory function of 'relevant person’ for pension disputes.
2. Manage a team of Pensions Administrators to ensure that the service provision is in accordance with the Council’s commitment to deliver a high quality service to customers, to include the ongoing training and development of Pensions Administrators as required by the department and ensuring that all targets are met.
3. Supporting the Deputy/Pensions Manager in the responsibility for ensuring a safe working environment in the Pensions Office, including participation in the staff induction process to ensure that all relevant health and safety issues are highlighted to ensure compliance with both policy and the associated legislation.
4. Supporting and assisting the Deputy/Pensions Manager in both the interpretation and application of the LGPS Regulations, including amendments and consolidations and all other relevant legislation in order to ensure compliance in the calculation and administration of benefits, including the Data Protection Act, Freedom of Information Act, and Equal Rights Judgements of the European Court.
5. Conduct appraisal interviews and assist in the design and implementation of staff training programmes to meet organisational objectives.
6. Manage the efficient planning and allocation of workload to the Pensions Administrators and the checking of estimates, transfers, retirement and death benefits.
7. Joint responsibility for the control and payment of Court Order deductions from the Pension Payroll.
8. Acquire, maintain and communicate expert technical pension’s knowledge for the benefit of staff and the Council as a whole. This will include research into new practices, liaising with different agencies and compliance with best practice to include the London Pension’s Officer Forum.
9. Assisting the Deputy Pensions Manager in resolving system control issues in relation to calculation errors on the altair pensions database.
10. Responsibility for the quarterly reconciliation of the lump sum death grants payments against the general ledger.
11. Responsibility for the balancing of payments received from and paid to a defined group of admitted bodies, including the annual recording and processing of contribution returns as necessary.
12. Joint responsibility for ensuring effective third party pension administration relating to the London Pensions Fund Authority (LPFA), acting as Liaison Officer between the Council and the LPFA.
13. Assisting in all work processes for the annual closure of the pension fund account.
14. Acquire, maintain and communicate expert technical pensions knowledge for the benefit of staff and the Council as a whole. This will include research into new practices, liaising with different agencies and compliance with best practice to include the London Pension’s Officer Forum.
15. Jointly responsible for the verification each month of the Pensions Payroll totalling in excess of £40 million pound per annum.
16. Promotion of the LGPS i.e. organising and providing presentations at pension surgeries and pre-retirement courses.
17. Responsibility for notification to the relevant Government Department payment of State Scheme Premiums and maintenance of Guaranteed Minimum Pension records.
18. Assisting the Deputy/Pensions Manager in representing the Council at Pensions Conferences, Forums and Seminars as directed.
19. Assisting in the continual improvement of the financial management of Pension income and expenditure, via the financial system database and help ensuring that the Pensions Office produces and maintains accurate financial records.
20. Responsibility for providing programme development training for all staff accessing the pensions database system.
21. Design and manage projects and communicate project timeline and aims to team members and stakeholders.
22. Assisting in the triennial Actuarial Valuation of the Council’s Pension Fund, with responsibility for pension’s database enquiries and processing as appropriate.
23. Assist in all work process issues associated with the timely and accurate production of Annual Benefit Statements for both current members and preserved beneficiaries.
24. Assist in devising and developing task management procedures in order to meet the requirements of the Council regarding pension administration performance.
25. Assisting in the implementing of the Communications policy for Pensions, and development of publicity material.
Detailed knowledge of the Local Government Pension Scheme Regulations and the altair pension's database.