Job Title - Solution Architect
Location - Milton Keynes
Reports to - Head of Business Solutions & Technology
Hours - Monday to Friday 08:45 to 17:00
Due to our continued success as one of the country’s leading suppliers of heavy commercial vehicles we have a new and exciting opportunity for Solution Architect to join the team based at our Head Office in Milton Keynes.
Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Planning
- Ensure that the project level architecture is documented and implemented, design meets the project objectives and technical requirements
- Ensure that they own the high-level design and signs-off low level design.
- Provide input into the project planning stage for the component cost estimates as defined by the new architecture
- Review component level change requirements, proposals and design to ensure their compliance to architectural principles and standards
- Create strategic solution architectures including target blueprints, options, roadmaps, business cases and impacts
- Work with the Business Analyst to understand the business requirements so that solution options that are recommended provide the best fit against the requirements
- Use appropriate tools, including logical models of components and interfaces, to develop the high-level solution architecture for programmes and projects
- Produce detailed component specifications and translate these into detailed designs for implementation using selected products
- Work with the Design Review Team to develop the detailed system designs ensuring it aligns to the solution architecture
- Implement the Architecture Standards & Principles in relation to solutions deployed
- Ensure that the component architecture meets the non-functional requirements such as reliability, scalability, performance and resilience. This includes being accountable for the end-to-end integrated solution
- Work at project level and accept work packages identified and scoped
- Willing to work with enterprise architects and external stakeholders such as technical architects
- Assist with transition planning as part of Architecture Life cycle.
- Awareness of current architectural trends and developments within the market, particularly patterns and technologies
- Provide governance and technical leadership to ensure the projects and systems/services are aligned with the design goals.
Solution Quality Assurance & Testing
- Ensure that all documentation to support the various phases and level definitions is provided and show all auditable reviews
- Analyse the current environment to detect critical deficiencies and recommend solutions for improvement
- Provide High and Low level technical and architectural documentation, this includes: applications design and definition documents, infrastructure documents (sizing, reference architectures, growth estimates, throughput etc.), live migration documents and the clear definition of external and internal interfaces to other products and services
- Ensure solutions defined is aligned with Architectural principles including Business, Data, Application and Technology
Communication & Relationships
- Provide advice on technical aspects of system development and integration (including requests for changes, deviations from specifications, etc.) and ensure that relevant strategies, policies, standards and practices (including security) are applied correctly
- Principle point of escalation for solution driven architecture matters within assigned business areas
- Engage with assigned business area teams to understand the business and commercial landscape within which the solution will be used
- Communicate proposed architecture within projects and gain project approval from Design Review Committee
This job description provides an indication of the role and responsibilities but should not be construed as an exhaustive list of duties that the post holder may be asked to undertake.
- Minimum undergraduate degree (Computing background preferable).
- TOGAF or equivalent
- Ability to work with staff and individuals from different areas of the organisation and at different levels of seniority.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation communication skills.
- The ability to converse confidently with both technical and non-technical people.
- Some European Travel
Experience / skills regarded as ideal but not essentialExperience of several technology platforms (e.g. not just a single technology stack) including legacy technologiesFront end, middleware and back end technologiesPhysical/virtualised on premise, managed service provider (MSP) and cloud (IaaS, PAAS, SAAS and iPaaS) solution architecturesStrong modelling skills in UML (BPMN beneficial) using a standard modelling toolExperience of working with third party suppliers; exposure to industry-standard commercial processes and practicesProven track record of Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and its application in a business (non-technical) context; clear understanding of the differences between SOA and its implementationClear understanding of the key differences between COTS and bespoke solutionsExperienced in both agile and waterfall management practices within the full software development lifecycleExperience of working in both programmes and projects (and a clear understanding of the difference between these)Experienced in Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) architecture and interfacesExcellent written and