Older People Operations Coordinator
Help support the most lonely and isolated across the UK
1.2 million older people in the UK say they are chronically lonely. GoodGym focuses on tackling these issues through our community of runners who get fit by doing good. We now have operations in 49 areas in the UK. If you’re passionate about making a difference, highly organised and love working with people, we want to talk to you.
Team: Older People Operations
Contract Type: 12 months
Hours: 5 days (37.5 hours) per week
Posts available: 1
Location: Based at GoodGym central, Somerset House, Strand, WC2R 1LA
Accountable to: Head of Older People Operations
Interview date: 11th April
As part of GoodGym's Older People Operations Team you will play a key role in the organisation. The work will focus on pairing individual runners with isolated people over 60 years old (coach runs) and supporting those in existing pairings. It will equally involve coordinating one-off practical tasks for older people (missions).
These activities are managed remotely from the GoodGym office.
This role is an excellent opportunity to gain experience in the third sector. Previous post holders have gone on to promoted roles.
- Responsible for volunteer on-boarding; checking references, processing DBS applications and ensuring online training is completed to a satisfactory standard
- Telephone training/assessment calls for prospective coach runners
- Conduct welcome calls introducing potential coaches to GoodGym and ensure coach runs are appropriate for them
- Coordinate the pairing of runners with older people
- Contribute to the production of communications and development of processes for those involved in coach runs including older people, runners and referrers.
Missions (practical tasks)
- Screen referrals for incoming practical tasks to ensure they are appropriate
- Coordinate missions tasks; communicating with referrers, listing tasks on the website, assigning runners and following up with beneficiaries
Runner/Older People Support
- Act as the main contact for runners and older people involved in coach runs
- Encourage runners to feedback on their progress and to track their visits
- Conduct monitoring telephone calls to older people who are matched with a runner
- Troubleshoot and resolve any issues emerging from monitoring of relationships
- Report any safeguarding issues/allegations in line with GoodGym’s Safeguarding Policy
- Ensure that all records for older people and runners are kept up to date and easily accessible for reporting
- Screen and process referrals for coach runs and missions, ensuring that all of the required information is gathered.
- Maintain and promote a positive relationship with referral agencies over the phone, by email and through face to face meetings as required.
- Contribute to the development of the Older People Operations Team and respective processes and policies
- Deliver training to our local run leaders around our work with older people
- Contribute to team and organisation wide meetings
This role description is not intended to be exhaustive in every respect but rather to define the fundamental purpose, responsibilities and dimensions for the role. In addition to the contents of this role description, employees are expected to undertake any and all other reasonable and related tasks that help achieve the goals of the organisation.
- An understanding and empathy towards the needs of older people
- Awareness of services available to older people
- An understanding of what befriending is and where it fits in with existing statutory and voluntary services
Skills and abilities
- Excellent verbal communication skills, particularly over the phone
- Excellent written communication skills
- Strong IT skills and ability to pick up new systems quickly
- Ability to provide information, advice and assistance appropriately, to volunteers and older people who are involved in GoodGym
- Ability to build strong relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds
- Record management skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work from own initiative and as part of a team
- Ability to assess an individual's understanding of a subject, either in a voluntary or professional capacity
- Working with or supervising volunteers
- Managing relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Experience of working in the voluntary sector or in a health or social care setting or with health or social care providers
- Working or volunteering with older people
More about you
Of course you will be passionate about the aims of GoodGym. You will also be passionate about innovation and how GoodGym can continue to grow and develop, refining and reiterating what we do. You will see how we need to approach things differently which requires a positive, solution focused approach to change and a love of working out the challenges of our growing community.
More about GoodGym
GoodGym is a charity that channels the energy used during exercise into social good. We connect runners, or those who want to get fit, with physical tasks which benefit their community including extensive work supporting older people. Backed by the Cabinet Office and Nesta, GoodGym has been cited by leading think-tanks and national media as a leading innovation in health and wellbeing and is described as an important innovation by the Prime Minister. GoodGym is expanding to every city in the UK, its central office is in Somerset House, London.
Please include a cover letter and CV in your application.