Under the supervision of the manager for Angels Caring Care Services or other competent person, assists in the safe and efficient delivery of personal, practical and social care to Angels Caring Care’s service users. Observes at all times the code of conduct and standards published by Skills for Care.
1. Care to Service Users
2. Support of service users
Duties and Responsibilities
1 Care to Service Users
1.1 Assists in the assessment procedures for new service users.
1.2 Reviews and becomes familiar with the Personal Care Plan of service users.
1.3 Assists service users with:
• personal hygiene requirements;
• the management of incontinence;
• bathing in bed or bathroom;
• care of pressure areas;
• looking after skin, teeth, mouth, hair and nails;
• positioning and movement of immobile service users.
• Medication, where this is covered (together with the type of assistance) in the service user’s Personal Care Plan
1.3 Provides assistance with toileting, and the cleaning and emptying of commodes.
1.4 Assists service users with physical activity, as needed, e.g. dressing, undressing, walking, sitting, passive exercises.
1.5 Positions service users correctly in bed or in a chair, referring at all times to the risk assessment for guidance in accordance with Angels Caring Care’s manual handling policy.
1.6 Assists service users to eat and drink, as needed, being aware of nutritional needs and cultural requirements; reports any unexpected inability or desire to eat or drink.
1.7 Ensures that any significant changes to a service user’s health and emotional condition are communicated to Angels Caring Care manager and/or your supervisor without delay.
1.8 Supports the community nurse (or other competent people) in delivering care to a dying service user, offering support to relatives and friends.
2 Support Services
2.1 Actively participates in the delivery of support services as identified in the service user’s Personal Care Plan.
Such duties may include:
• food and drink preparation;
• laundry, general cleaning and housekeeping duties;
• participating with the service user in social, leisure and recreational activities;
• talking with service users, and acting as a “companion”;
• accompanying the service user on trips out;
• assisting the service user to manage his/her personal affairs;
• paying bills;
• helping the service user maintain contact with family and friends.
2.2 Maintains accurate records in respect of care given, tasks undertaken, monies transacted.
2.3 Participates in meetings and reviews where the care worker’s direct knowledge of the care of the service user is an essential element in the process.
This job description aims to provide the applicant or employee with an accurate and concise summary of the job and its main duties and responsibilities.
However, it is not intended to be restrictive or absolute.