Assistant Planning & Management Accountant
Job type: Permanent
Industry: Public Sector and Government, Education
Salary: £28655 - £34464 + Excellent Benefits
Job Sector: Management Accountant, Planning, Assistant Accountant,
Robertson Bell are proud to be working in a retained partnership with Department for Education on a national recruitment campaign for Finance, Risk and Assurance.
DfE are a ministerial department supported by 18 agencies, public bodies, and non-ministerial departments, with offices based across England including Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Coventry and Darlington. They are responsible for children’s services and education, including higher and further education policy, apprenticeships and wider skills across England. They work to provide children’s services and education that ensure opportunity is equal for all, no matter what their background or family circumstances.
The post is part of the Financial Planning & Management Accounting (FPMA) team that supports the Higher and Further Education Group.
The team manages the reporting of the group’s financial position and co-ordinates the month end and year end process for the group, provides management reporting to Finance Business Partners (FBPs), the business and the Corporate Centre, co-ordinates business planning commissions and submissions, provides guidance and support to FBPS, HEFE Group Management Support Officers and senior management
Reporting directly to the FPMA team leader the post holder will gain an excellent insight into the financial position, policies and priorities as well as a good understanding of how finance works across the department.
The main deliverables of the work
- Assist in the production of monthly and ad hoc financial information to enable preparation of reports for all areas of HEFE;
- Commission and co-ordinate regular month end returns from budget holders/managers and ad-hoc requests for information;
- Work with Budget Managers/Holders in the development of analysis/commentary to support the monthly finance board report ensuring information has been rigorously checked and challenged so that senior managers have confidence in figures and processes;
- Engage and communicate with customers and stakeholders across the Group on the business of the team;
- Support on various financial and fiscal event exercises (Main and Supplementary Estimates, mid-year review, interim and year-end accounts and Spending Review 2019) working closely with policy and delivery colleagues to ensure that budgets are effectively controlled, with issues flagged and dealt with as soon as possible;
- To lead on or support projects/commissions managed by the Team.
We are looking for an ambitious and proactive finance professional, with first class communication skills. Confident in advising, challenging and negotiating with people, often senior to yourself, with different opinions. You will have good financial and analytical skills to be able to digest large amounts of information with attention to detail when working under pressure. Experience/knowledge of financial management within a government context is an advantage but not essential. This is an excellent opportunity for an individual who is looking to work in an all-round position, with the chance to grow and learn within a passionate organisation.