In-House Legal Counsel
At SHL, the global leader in talent innovation, we help companies transform productivity through deeper people insight. Powering the future of business, our data and assessment tools are proven to drive stronger, more sustainable business outcomes. More at shl.com.
We are currently seeking a Commercial Lawyer to join our Global Legal function on a 12 month fixed term contract to cover maternity leave from May 2019. Reporting to the Head of Legal - Commercial, you’ll be providing timely and flexible support across a range of areas of law (including Contract/Commercial, IT/IP and Data Protection).
This is an exciting opportunity to join a close-knit team, advising on challenging, strategically important deals with a wide range of clients including start-ups, blue chips, financial institutions and UK/internationally based household names, within a supportive and collegiate environment. You will have solid experience of drafting and negotiating commercial contracts and exposure to GDPR.
- Acting as lead legal resource for SHL products and services across Europe by providing high quality, commercial and pragmatic advice and solutions for the SHL commercial teams (engaging local, external counsel as necessary).
- Reviewing and negotiating Terms & Conditions, MSAs, SaaS Agreements, RFPs and other types of agreements, providing advice and solutions in relation to a wide range of related issues.
- GDPR contractual negotiations, including reviews of data processing agreements and supporting GDPR compliance projects across the business.
- Assisting with legal training and development as identified to support the SHL business and the team, including providing support and guidance to junior legal team members.
- Assisting with and undertaking ad hoc projects as required.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- At least 2:1 degree or equivalent, ideally law, computer science, psychology or business-related field
- Qualified lawyer with 3+ years PQE, ideally both in-house and private practice experience
- At least 2 years’ experience working in a Contract/Commercial role, with good understanding of GDPR and related processes, policies and contractual implications
- Knowledge and understanding of company and commercial law and practices
- Prior management experience managing paralegals/professional staff and external counsel
- Approachable with an ability to establish and grow relationships and credibility with people at all levels within the business
- Ability to deliver a high standard of work under time constraints
Our Ideal Candidate Also Has:
- Legal negotiation and drafting skills
- Strong technical knowledge
- Ability to provide timely, practical and commercially-focused advice
- Strong Planning and Organisational Skills
- Excellent Written and Oral Communication skills
What SHL Can Offer You:
- A culture comprised of diverse, global teams who have a passion for collaboration and client service.
- A comprehensive benefits package.
- Support, coaching, and on-the-job development to achieve career success.
- The ability to engage, influence, and impact a broad array of the world’s leading executives.