Purchasing Assistant / Stock Controller
A fantastic opportunity to be part of a busy purchasing team - working with fast moving food items for a specialist wholesaler.
60% will focus on purchasing activities which include the day to day management of the stock. You will be responsible for approx 1500 sku's from 100 suppliers - most of whom are outside the UK.
A prerequisite for this aspect will be to have strong excel skills, the ability to manage large volumes of data and make insightful decisions.
The remaining time will be to cover the procurement side of the role will involve working closely with suppliers, negotiating terms, sourcing and developing new products, arranging rebates and discounts.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Purchasing Department
- To assist the Procurement Manager to procure, negotiate and mitigate supply chain costs
- To ensure cost effective continuity of supply.
- Review and release purchase orders for a discrete set of suppliers.
- To expedite all purchase orders identifying any shortages or anticipated delays and where appropriate find alternative products / source of supply
- Work with the distribution centre team to ensure items received are of the correct quality and specification
- Analyse figures / forecasts prior to calculating order requirements in advance of predetermined stock holding parameters.
- Make recommendations to the Procurement Manager for the cost-effective disposal of slow moving and obsolete goods.
- Ensure best practice stock control principles and practices are adhered to in line with company standards.
- To seek to add value through the removal of deadstock and / or improved offering
- Monitor trends in the business to ensure that stock is available at all times; to service customer requirements
- Proactively communicate with internal and external customers regarding inventory status and suitable alternatives
- Ensure all shortages and issues are addressed appropriately
- Supplier Management
- To negotiate with suppliers to achieve the best possible trading terms; these would include: net prices, discounts, rebates, promotional support, growth incentives and payment terms
- Maintain and update all supplier agreements once negotiated
- To engage with suppliers in a manner that supports the ethos of cooperative relationships
- Systems & Processes
o Implement effective change to facilitate customer requirements
- Participation in generating new ideas and actively implementing and promoting change
- Provide practical solutions to operational challenges such as non-delivery of ordered items. Take ownership of problems and deal with them effectively
o To be familiar with, and adhere too, the respective QA processes affecting the department e.g. new item card creations
- Updating and maintaining master data information held within the procurement system, including but not limited to; price changes, VAT status and purchase order status
- Work with other members of staff to ensure the standards of Food Safety and
Hygiene are maintained as detailed in the QA Manual.
- To develop own performance by completing relevant learning and development activities.
- New Products
o Work with the Purchasing Manager to demonstrate initiative and insight by bringing forward relevant products and concepts to the NPD forum
o Prepare for and attend NPD meetings; implement action points as required.
o Assist with all relevant information and communication to ensure successful product launches
o Source and negotiate with product enquiries not currently in the range offering
Key Attributes & Experience
- Knowledge and experience of SAP (B1 preferable) and MRP systems.
- Literate, numerate and highly competent using Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Understanding and experience of stock category management, stock control and shelf-life constraints.
- Must be a team player, with a positive 'can-do’ attitude.
- Must have the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines whilst maintaining accuracy and professionalism.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral, with a confident telephone manner.
- Ability to carry out verbal and written instructions precisely and conscientiously with outstanding attention to detail.
- Self-motivation and tenacity to complete tasks to consistently high standards.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Ideally with recent and relevant food industry experience.
- Experience of working in a food wholesaling environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of negotiation techniques.