Specialist Money Advisor
CAMBRIDGE AND DISTRICT CITIZENS ADVICE BUREAU
Closing date: 4th March 2019 5pm
Interviews: week beginning 11th March 2019
Job Title: Specialist Money Advisor
Employer: Citizens Advice Bureau Ltd
Responsible to: Specialist Team Development Manager
Based at: 66 Devonshire Road, Cambridge. CB1 2BL
Purpose of Job: To provide advice, support and education in the areas of debt and financial capability
1 Debt advice at specialist help level (including housing advice); income maximisation and financial capability;
2 Planning and development
3 Support and training both internally and externally;
4 Administration duties and responsibilities;
5 Development and recruitment;
6 Research and Campaigns, in particular to focus in areas of high financial exclusion;
1 DEBT MANAGEMENT, INCOME MAXIMISATION, FINANCIAL CAPABILITY
- Act as Specialist Money Adviser, advising clients with complicated debt problems;
- Negotiate with creditors as appropriate;
- Assist clients to implement the chosen debt strategy, which is suitable, realistic and sustainable for the client’s needs.
- Apply income maximisation (Benefit Checks) to money advice and debt work;
- Assist clients with financial capability issues such as reducing expenditure, helping client’s to get the best energy deals and helping to apply for the water social tariff etc.
- Look to empower our client’s where appropriate
- Deliver the above services both at Devonshire Road outreach locations within Cambridge City and South Cambridgeshire.
- Assist with current bureau projects, as required.
2 PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT
- Contribute to the business plan as required by the Bureau Management;
- The development of suitable outreach locations by new methods and with new partners;
- Advise the Specialist Team Development Manager on service delivery issues and problems;
- Contribute to activities, procedures and systems so as to promote common practices within the advice team
- Utilise IT systems and other resources.
- Participate in bureau initiatives as appropriate and contribute to the work of associated committees, working parties and projects.
3 SERVICE DELIVERY
- Provide technical casework and support to advisers including case checking and feedback;
- Provide training in the areas of debt and financial capability, both internally (to advisors) and externally (to frontline workers and end users)
- Respond to money advice needs, in particular the needs of identified disadvantaged groups and the different geographical and demographic areas;
- Ensure that systems are developed and maintained for case recording, statistics, follow up work and quality control, in partnership with other members of the team;
- To be a team player and attend meetings as necessary.
- To ensure effective and efficient administrative systems are maintained;
- Abide by the health and safety policy with regard to staff, equipment and premises with statutory requirements;
- Proper case recording and recording of statistical information with regard to money advice clients and workload.
5 TRAINING, DEVELOPMENT AND RECRUITMENT
- Keep up to date with legislation, case law, policies and procedures relating to debt and undertake appropriate training.
- Read relevant publications provided by the Bureau.
- Attend relevant internal and external meetings as agreed with the line manager.
- Prepare for and attend supervision sessions/team meetings/management team meetings as appropriate.
- Assist with service initiatives for the improvement of services and make recommendations where improvements can be made.
- During a 12 month period, you are to achieve the equivalent of 16 CPD points and record these within your own Wiseradviser learning account.
- To ensure that you make time in your own calender, for your own development (each month)
6 RESEARH AND CAMPAIGNS (R&C)
- Assist with R&C work by providing information about clients' circumstances, either anonymously or with the client’s consent.
- Provide statistical information on the number of clients and nature of cases and provide regular reports to Bureau management.
- Monitor service provision to ensure that it reaches the widest possible client group
- Alert other staff to local and national issues.
- Liaise with statutory and non-statutory organisations and represent the Service on outside bodies as appropriate.
- The successful applicants will ideally have 2 years’ experience in a relevant advice setting
- 7% pension contribution
- Holiday: 24 days pa plus Bank Holidays. 1 additional day each 12 months. Up to 4 days Christmas closure
- Interest free loans for travel and 10% discount on season tickets
- Death in Service insurance
- Flexible working hours
- Variety of learning and development options
- Family Flexible policies including job sharing