Mechanical Design Engineer
Mechanical Design Engineer
Marshalls is one of the UK's leading manufacturers of superior natural stone and innovative concrete hard landscaping products supplying the construction, home improvement and landscape markets.
We are now looking to expand and bolster the GES team and are therefore recruiting for several key positions. This is a very exciting time and a fantastic opportunity to join a highly experienced and talented Engineering team that specialises in Mechanical Design Engineering, Bulk Materials Handling, Mechanical Handling Plant and Special Purpose Design.
Position: Project Design Engineer (Mechanical)
Location: Based at GES Department Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX3 9SZ (Travel may be required once a fortnight to manufacturing sites)
Job type: Full Time, Permanent
Salary: £40,000 to £45,000 + Company Car
Benefits: Pension Plan, Generous Holiday
About the role:
The Project Design Engineer will report in to the Senior GES Manager and will be responsible for special purpose projects including feasibility studies, detailed designs and drawings, plant layout, resource planning, budgeting, tendering, building, installation, commissioning and handover.
- Own and execute technical engineering projects through innovative designs, project planning, prioritisation, working with internal and external stakeholders
- Active role in project design and planning meetings, offering insight, advice, technical expertise, solutions and support to Site Managers and other internal stakeholders.
- Identify critical engineering issues, project barriers or technical issues arising during operations in order to identify route cause and implement robust and timely solutions
- Contribute to the continuous review of design and project management processes, communication methods, compliance with regulatory and legislative requirements and departmental workload to ensure the GES department continues to operate to a high standard
- Work with external suppliers and sub-contractors to ensure services provided meet expectations and project and business objectives. Provide accurate and detailed information including technical drawings, schematics, functional specifications to enabling external partners to provide value added support to the business where required
- Work closely with Group Purchasing and Procurement to ensure the sourcing of any raw materials, component parts, plant and equipment is sourced responsibly and competitively
- Work closely with site managers on all major projects to gain support, understand their operational requirements and objectives, achieve project goals and achieve a smooth client handover in line with company expectations and legislative requirements
- HNC / HND in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- A thorough understanding of the Machinery Directive, Construction Design Management and Industry Accreditations
- A good understanding of Quality Systems and standards such as BSI
- Proficient in AutoCAD 2D is essential.
- Working knowledge of Solidworks 3D would be desirable.
- Proven experience and detailed knowledge of stress calculations
- A thorough understanding of Drive and Transmission calculations and specification
- Good IT skills
- Excellent verbal & written communication skill
- Exceptional problem solving skills
- Resilient and Pragmatic, with a real ‘can do’ attitude
- Ability to remain calm under pressure, inspires confidence and credibility in others
- Exceptional time management and organisational skills, can handle multiple project at the same time
- Extensive and demonstrable experience of producing technically correct and compliant design solutions from concept to commissioning including appropriate and detailed calculations, design reviews, risk analysis etc
- Experience of Bulk Materials Handling, Mechanical Handling Plant and Special Purpose Design
- Experience of working in heavy industry such as Concrete Manufacturing, Steel, Coal, Automotive, Water etc
- Hydraulic and Pneumatic Experience
- Project Management experience within a design engineering role
You may have experience of the following: Project Design Engineer, Project Management, Project Manager, Mechanical Engineering, Design Engineer, Manufacturing, Mechanical Engineer, Concrete Manufacturing, Automotive Manufacturing, Heavy manufacturing, AutoCAD 2D, Solidworks 3D, Technical Projects, Engineering etc