A unique opportunity to work with a local charity which seeks to reduce the social isolation of older people who are lonely or housebound and to alleviate financial hardship. A small charity making a big impact on the older community in Elmbridge.
CHEER is a small, but busy, local charity based in Claygate, which has been working for the benefit of older people for over 65 years. A team of three part-time staff deliver a range of services including:
- home visits to evaluate eligibility for benefits and other needs
- a one-to-one befriending service
- a range of social events
They are supported by a board of trustees and a team of approximately 50 volunteers.
Skills and experience:
- ability to co-ordinate and organise the core services, working with the existing team to deliver these in a friendly and professional manner to clients
- experience of working with older people
- ability to work within a team but comfortable with working independently
- organised, methodical and able to manage the workload of the team
- good communication skills, both verbal and written
- ability to manage a team of volunteers
- sound IT skills, with proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications
- empathetic and a good listener
- good inter-personal skills and the ability to deal with a wide range of stakeholders with confidence and assurance
- a flexible and energetic approach to a wide range of interactions
- an interest in issues surrounding "ageing well"
The successful applicant will be working in a small, dedicated, friendly team located in Claygate's Centre for the Community. It is a varied, interesting and, most importantly, a satisfying and worthwhile role which improves the lives of older people in Elmbridge.
Hours: 25 hours a week covering at least 4 days a week (FTE 35 hours a week)
Holiday entitlement: 20 days including bank holidays (FTE 28 days)
Location: Claygate, Surrey; with a requirement to travel within Elmbridge
- driving licence and use of a car
- an enhanced DBS check
A more detailed job description can be downloaded from the CHEER website (see company profile).