JOB DESCRIPTION & PERSON SPECIFICATION (JDPS)
Job Title: Urgent Trainee Solicitor
Job Evaluation Reference Number:
Governance and Law
Line Manager (post):
Legal Services Manager
Date JDPS was created / last reviewed / amended:Jan 2019
1. Core Training Requirements
2. Service plan/team plan
3. Argyll & Bute Council Competency Framework
4. Managers guide to recruitment
5. Job Evaluation process
To support the Legal Services Manager - Corporate and Legal Services Manager – Commercial to achieve the team’s objectives by participating as a member of the Corporate and Commercial Legal teams in the provision of legal services to the Council, including preparation of research, reports and legal documents, as well as drafting, revising and negotiating contracts, leases, etc.
This post includes a relocation fee and additonally offers low cost accomodation for any candidates who travel a minimum of 30 miles to the work place.
Please note; This is an urgent vacancy, telephone interview must be scheduled on: Wednesday the 20th of February 2019 with Potential start date is 4th March 2019.
Please reply with CV and Cover Letter.
Scope / Dimensions:
Line management / staffing responsibility N/A
Budgetary responsibility: N/A
Support the Legal Services Manager – Corporate and Legal Services Manager – Commercial to develop the team’s strategic service and service plans by working in partnership with colleagues (within and outwith the service) and by taking personal responsibility for planning how these are delivered effectively and efficiently to service users. In particular:
1) Litigation: the preparation of summonses, initial writs, defences etc. The trainee solicitor will be expected to obtain a limited Practising Certificate at the end of the first year of the traineeship and thereafter begin making court appearances.
2) Legal Advice: the carrying out of research and the preparation of reports relating to the Council’s powers, duties and liabilities and providing advice on a range of matters as required.
3) Conveyancing: the preparation of offers to purchase, sell or lease property, the drafting, revision of dispositions, leases and other deeds.
4) Contracts: the drafting, revising and negotiation of contracts.
5) To undertake tasks as directed by the Monitoring Officer in respect of the development of protocols, the conduct of investigations, the provision of advice to officers and members on matters related to the sound governance of the Council including issues relating to legality and propriety.
6) To assist with and prepare responses to enquiries related to the role of the Monitoring Officer.
7) Such other duties as are deemed appropriate by the Legal Services Manager – Corporate and Legal Services Manager – Commercial.
Assist the Legal Services Manager – Corporate and Legal Services Manager – Commercial to ensure that high quality services and best value are delivered to service users by ensuring that all agreed plans are implemented efficiently and effectively.
Support the Legal Services Manager – Corporate and Legal Services Manager – Commercial to develop, implement and maintain appropriate performance management reporting systems as a means of managing and monitoring the team’s performance, to ensure standards are maintained, improvements developed and issues addressed in a timely manner.
4.Health & Safety:
All employees must follow the Council’s health and safety policies, standards, systems and procedures and must follow any additional health and safety instructions required by their line management. Employees who manage staff (and/or control workers from outside bodies) must ensure that they comply with the Council’s health and safety at work procedures and ensure that all workplace risks are assessed, suitable control measures are put in place and that these are communicated to the workforce in a way they understand.
5.Other duties & responsibilities:
Undertake other duties appropriate to this job and grade, and as required by the line manager and ensure appropriate outcomes are achieved.
CRITERIA: E = Essential D = Desirable
Education and / or professional qualifications
Diploma in Legal Practice
Local Authority legal experience
Specific job-related knowledge
Knowledge of the workings of Local Government
Knowledge of Inverness
Any additional job-related requirements
The jobholder will be expected to travel efficiently and effectively between various work locations within Inverness and Highlands and beyond to meet the operational requirements of the Service.
Personal Qualities (Competencies) that are essential at recruitment stage:
Eligibility to work within UK
Interest in and commitment to this area of work