Deputy Nursery Manager
To model the nursery’s Christian Ethos and inspire others to do the same (see Sapphires Ethos attached)
Scope of Position:
· To ensure that all children attending Sapphires are kept safe and receive rich and stimulating learning experiences appropriate for their age and stage of development.
· To create a warm, nurturing and welcoming environment
· To assist in recruiting, supporting, training and appraising all staff to ensure high quality childcare practice.
· To effectively manage the day-to-day running of the nursery including financial operations in the absence of the Nursery Manager.
· Monitor the planning and implementation of the Early Years Foundation Stage.
· Assist in the assessment of the quality of teaching from each member of staff, identifying areas for development.
· Analyse children’s progress and monitor the data continuously.
· Develop and maintain professional relationships with external agencies, including OFSTED.
· Ensure that required standards, ratios and conditions of registration are maintained at all times.
· Maintain accurate records for all of the children on roll including attendance registers, emergency contact information and relevant medical information and update this information regularly.
· Monitor child protection issues, parent issues, complaints and accidents to ensure that remedial action is taken immediately.
· Liaise with the Nursery Manager and Nursery Director as appropriate.
· Support the facilitation of inspections by regulatory bodies and implement any actions and recommendations.
· Assist the Nursery Manager to review and update policies, procedures and risk assessment.
· Ensure care, maintenance, and security of toys and equipment within the setting.
· Liaise with outside agencies and professionals in the best interests of all children
· Help the Nursery Manager to provide regular newsletters
· Manage invoices and financial transactions.
· Take a shared responsibility for all staff, ensuring they are trained, inducted, motivated, appraised and developed in a positive and effective manner.
· Ensure that the appropriate levels of qualified/ unqualified staff are maintained within nursery and keep a current record of supply staff.
· Assist with the organization of regular staff meetings and identify staff training needs.
· Manage staff annual leave requests to ensure the setting is adequately staffed at all times.
· Ensure all staff rotas are accurate, including reporting of absence through sickness and holidays.
· To maintain confidentiality at all times.
Health and Safety
· Undertake a shared responsibility for the health and safety of children, staff, parents and visitors.
· Ensure security systems and procedures are always fully operational and implemented correctly.
· Update and maintain risk assessments for the setting, premises and all outings.
· Maintain accident records in accordance with company policy.
· Ensure all relevant reports are submitted to Environmental Health, OFSTED, RIDDOR and the local safeguarding officer in a timely manner.
· Operate the highest standards of cleanliness and hygiene within the setting.
· Establish appropriate emergency procedures.
· Take a joint responsibility for the supervision of the administration of all medication with the Nursery Manager.
· Take responsibility for administering first aid within the setting.
· Arrange and oversee regular parent’s evenings.
· Ensure regular communication with parents through newsletters, information evenings, open days and open evenings.
· Actively promote the setting and be involved in the seeking and retention of families.
· Confirm bookings through verbal and written communication to new parents.
· A childcare qualification at level 3
· A degree in a relevant childcare qualification
· Early Years Teacher/Qualified Teacher Status
· Paediatric first-aid qualification
· A minimum of two years post qualifying experience of nursery management in a full day care setting
· Experience in a supervisory capacity of delivering care and education to young children
· Experience of leading and supporting a staff team to improve practice
· Experience of developing positive relationships with colleagues, parents, children and outside agencies
· Experience of managing nursery finances, including invoicing, chasing debts and managing salary budgets
· Experience or knowledge of Ofsted requirements
Knowledge & Skills
· Knowledge and understanding of the Children’s Act
· The ability to work on own initiative and prioritise workload
· Knowledge of the EYFS and child development
· Ability to lead, coach and motivate a team
· UK driving license – full and clean
· Knowledge and understanding of Equal Opportunities
· Excellent organisational abilities
· Awareness of health and safety legislation
· Ability to use a range of IT equipment
· A working knowledge of nursery software packages
· Ability to successfully market the setting
· A clear understanding of the importance of confidentiality
· Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
· Excellent communication skills
· Knowledge of safer recruitment practice
· A passion for working with children
· A willingness to model the school’s Christian Ethos and values thought the conduct and responses outlined in the Ethos statement
· Personal integrity
· Friendly, reliable and flexible approach
· Willingness to follow instructions and adhere to policy
· A co-operative and collaborative approach