Commercial Lawyer (French Speaking)
Elevate is currently sourcing a Mid-Level Commercial Lawyer (French Speaking) to support our UK legal service delivery team.
This role is based in Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxfordshire with the possibility of working from home a few days a week.
This role is for a full-time permanent employee position, acting in a Manager capacity for a minimum of 7 months while the current Manager is on maternity leave from February 2019. You will report into a Team Lead Manager based in the US and will manage 1 direct report onsite at Milton Park.
You be a dedicated member of the UK legal service delivery team for an international mining customer, working closely with this customer’s in-house counsel teams globally, including in the Americas, EMEA and APAC regions.
As a Contracts Manager, you will be the delivery and operations manager for a team of lawyers providing legal support services that include contract support, litigation support, due diligence, and legal research and writing support. You will be responsible for developing and managing a training program for the UK Team. Additionally, you will be responsible for assisting with commercial and substantive transactional support, working both independently on assigned deals and projects including reviewing, redlining, drafting and managing obligations for sales, licensing, legal, procurement and other contracts, as well as legal research on commercial topics, due diligence and litigation support. You will work collaboratively with other teams in different geographies supporting this customer, and interact with Elevate Management as needed.
You might be the right person if you:
- Are proficient in French (native French speaker);
- Have excellent leadership qualities to lead legal professionals through coaching, mentoring, training and people development skills;
- Have experience providing substantive transactional contracts support including reviewing, redlining, drafting and managing contracts to multinational companies;
- Have experience providing legal research and writing support and using on-line research tools;
- Have good transition and project management abilities;
- Can write clearly and concisely, taking into consideration different audiences and attention spans;
- Want to work directly with US, Canadian, European and Australian attorneys of a leading multinational corporation; and
- Are proficient in relevant technology, particularly contract management and contract workflow tools.
Specifically you will be:
- Managing and mentoring UK based team members, with respect to the full employee lifecycle (hiring, on-boarding, performance management, appraisals, expense reporting, etc.);
- Manage all aspects of service delivery including service levels and ongoing customer relationships;
- Perform quality control function to ensure accuracy of deliverables created for the customer;
- Build and maintain a training program focused on identifying and bridging skill gaps of the UK team members;
- Draft contracts for specific transactions for which no customer templates exist; involves working closely with business to understand the transaction;
- Review and redline contracts in accordance with customer’s standards and legal guidelines;
- Draft amendments, SOWs, notices;
- Compare contracts and highlight differences and similarities in memorandum format;
- Review agreements against established standards, create deviation reports, and propose alternative positions;
- Provide legal research and writing support;
- Deliver services efficiently by creating better processes around the work being provided to the customer;
- Work with team leadership on process improvements, innovation, etc.;
- Have regular and direct customer interaction with the customer LSO Manager;
- Participate in customer reporting relative to the UK measured data;
- Draft and coordinate content and delivering the quarterly customer newsletter; and;
- Work on special projects as assigned by team management.
- 7+ years of experience in the legal domain with at least 3 to 4 years of experience in drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial contracts including procurement, sales agreements, NDAs, software license agreements, other commercial agreements;
- UK legal qualifications a must, French qualifications desirable;
- Must be a native French (France, Montreal desirable) speaker.
- Multi-jurisdictional/cross border experience working with multinational customers, including interacting with lawyers in the US, UK, Asia, Europe a plus.
Technical Skills for Success:
- Advanced French and English language skills are an absolute must;
- Experienced in Microsoft Products like Excel, Word, PowerPoint and SharePoint;
- Ability to learn and use workflow tools, such as Cael Flow or Quickbase;
- Experience with search engines and research databases like Westlaw and Lexis Nexis for legal research assignments.
Elevate is the law company. We provide consulting, technology and services to law departments and law firms. Our global team of lawyers, engineers, consultants and business experts improve efficiency, quality and outcomes for customers worldwide. Elevate’s achievements and distinctions include:
- Ranked on the Inc. 5000 list of Fastest-Growing Private Companies two years in a row.
- Ranked as a top Global Services Provider by Chambers & Partners three years in a row.
- Lead Partner of the FT Innovative Lawyers Awards.