SPM Senior Engineer
General Dynamics UK is a world-leader in the integration of cutting-edge defence and security systems, delivering decisive advantage to military, government and civil customers worldwide.
Our employee culture is one that thrives on innovation, embraces teamwork and possesses a strong will to succeed. The pioneering technologies and the quality of our people give us our competitive edge. Dynamics is not just part of our name, it’s part of our spirit.
This role is for a software developer responsible for windows based application and front end development work – working with the product team for the EvO System Performance model (SPM) product. EvO is the first phase of the MORPHEUS program which includes the transformation of BCIP to an open and flexible technical and business architecture. Individuals in this role will work on the development of software components, including defining & executing unit tests. An individual with knowledge of C++ and C# Net Framework development, providing GUI Development, architect, mentoring for team members. Shall be able to build a software component and test case to build confidence before putting the component forward for the product level of integration. The successful candidate will work within a multi-disciplined engineering team to deliver outputs that meet customer needs to defined quality standards within agreed timescales and budgets
- GUI Development, architect, mentoring for team members
- Shall be able to build a software component and test case to build confidence before putting the component forward for the next level of integration.
- An ability to identify problems, likely causes and identify solutions.
- Ability to identify integration target, diagnostic and test tools to run code.
- Key member of the team responsible for developing, integrating and testing software onto the EvO baseline, following integrated product development procedures, GDUK software development processes and best practice.
Analysing requirements - designing and implementing software subsystem components.
Validating software designs against requirements and assumptions.
Working proactively with System Engineering and specialist areas (security, safety, human factors, support and training) to ensure software design and implementation meet its requirements.
Responsible for architectural software design and modelling, OO model driven development and maintenance.
Identifying and documenting specification and interface changes.
Undertaking and supporting product and integration test requirements and acceptance activities.
Analysing and debug software integration issues on target hardware and software environments.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrates good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills as well as motivation, integrity, professionalism, flexibility, commitment and innovation.
- Strong background in Software design, code, test and version control using current methodologies, processes and tools, preferably in complex systems. E.g. IBM Rational Team Concert, Git, SVN
- Peer reviewing source code, software designs and working to a coding standard.
- Ability to generate well-structured technical documents using Microsoft packages and manage through a review process to achieve release to committed deadlines.
- Experience of applying Human Factors Integration (HFI) principles to the design and development of application User Interfaces (UI).
- Ability to present at progress reviews and contribute productively in the team and with external UK MoD and other stakeholders.
- Capable of analysing and debugging software integration issues on target hardware and software environments.
- Familiar with Defence Standards, Military Standards and EC Directives.
- Knowledge of modelling and simulation, technologies and techniques and its applicability to synthetic environments
- Degree qualified in a relevant discipline (or equivalent).
- Experience of Agile and SCRUM techniques and methodologies desirable.
- Experience of Agile development methods and tools including IBM Rational Team Concert, a software development team collaboration tool
- Experience developing C++ (including MFC development) and C# (including WPF and WCF) software applications or Windows components within a software team, with Microsoft Visual Studio.
- Single Page Application Frameworks (e.g. Aurelia Angular)
GDUK offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. A flexible benefits package, 25 days holiday, a compressed fortnight offering every other Friday off and an attractive bonus scheme.