Platform Engineer / Java Developer
Affecto Recruitment are proud to partner with The Floow, a world-renowned telematics company based in Sheffield. Following a period of rapid growth and success they are looking to double its technical workforce over the coming months and as such Affecto are keen to speak to Platform Engineers / Java Developers who share The Floow's enthusiasm for technology.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
At The Floow, we see something special where others see mobile phones. We see tools with the power to tell us so much more about ourselves than we could ever hope to know otherwise. Tools equipped with a wide array of rich sensors such as Accelerometers, GPS and Gyroscopes. And we value the talents of those whose calling it is to unlock their deepest mysteries.
ABOUT THE PLATFORM TEAM
At The Floow, the Platform Team is central to everything we do. The Floow's Telematics products collect data from a variety of devices, present it back to the consumer and using a number of media, and provide a rich array of bespoke analytic services to our clients. This is all facilitated by the server-side Platform Technology that powers The Floow and all of our products.
Our Telematics Platform, combined with rich Mobile Apps, slick Web Portals and state of the art Data Science, serves customers all of the world, from Norway to Ireland, South Africa to the United States, Argentina to London.
Above all else the Platform Team values code quality, efficiency and robustness which is why our code base is backed by a suite of tests and subject to rigorous peer review.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND REQUIREMENTS
As a Platform Engineer with The Floow you will be responsible for the on-going development and improvement of the existing platform services which currently support hundreds of thousands of users and devices, as well as the design and creation of services to provide new and exciting features to our clients and end-users.
* You're an authority on everything Java. Subject matter expert on different Java versions, language features and SDK architectures.
* You're at home working as part of a diverse but tightly knit system of teams, instantly understanding and compromising with all stakeholders- technical and non-technical, internal and external. Communicating clearly and effectively.
* You appreciate great design, software development theory and understand the value of going a step beyond building something that merely works, to designing something that evolves and scales effortlessly.
* You understand the value of testing and Quality Assurance.
* You are at home working in an agile fashion, deploying rapidly, collaborating closely, making pragmatic decisions, and have no problem adapting to rapidly evolving specifications.
* You have the ability to pick up and analyse an existing codebase to push the product forward, focusing on delivery and refactoring when needed
* You aren't afraid to break new ground, and tackle problems that may not have been solved by anyone before you.
* Computer Science (or similar) degree (BS or MS), or equivalent work experience
* Java (JDK 8 ideally)
* 5+ years of Java Development
* OOP, Concurrency, Reflection, Networking
* Git, Maven
* UNIX/Mac OS/Linux terminal and shell scripting
* Familiarity with Apache Thrift, HTTP/REST, JSON, AWS, MongoDB
* Experience with powerful Java libraries and frameworks, eg: Spring, Guava
* Knowledge of API & Software Design/Best Practise
* Ability to deploy Unit Testing toolchains and methodologies
* Continuous integration
* Experience interacting with non-technical clients in the Financial Sector
* Big Data processing techniques
* You'll have an opportunity to take a key role in a fast-growing platform team, shaping the final form of a rapidly evolving technology gaining relevance at an accelerated pace
* You'll have the opportunity to make an impact within the team, applying the skills and methodologies you bring to evolve an existing software infrastructure and take it to the next level
* You'll be able to work closely with key players in the growing field of UBI (Usage Based Insurance), as well as other clients in the automotive and other industries
* The position advertised is a permanent role, with remuneration based upon experience
* We offer both Bonus and Pension schemes for all employees as well as 21 days' holiday
* You'll be working in our Sheffield City Centre location which has good public transport links and car parking.
* You'll be working for a company with an excellent culture, in a friendly and relaxed environment.
Please note that all direct and third party applications for the Platform Engineer / Java Developer opportunity will be directed to Affecto Recruitment for review.
Affecto Recruitment is acting as a Recruitment Agency in this instance and is an equal opportunities employer.