Test Automation Specialist
Our client internally builds a variety of software to support its business activities, from back office systems to manage investments to tooling for financial advisers and their clients. This software is being delivered by multiple sprint teams in an agile environment using the SCRUM framework with a 2 week release cadence.
Their software has historically been manually tested first with a desire to move towards automation. They have begun building more automated techniques into the continuous integration pipeline such as unit tests and integration tests however they recognise that this is the area that they need to accelerate the rate of progress.
They require a Test Automation Specialist, who has experience working in an agile environment implementing test automation to existing systems. You will be part of the test team focussing on test automation where you will help provide the frameworks, tools and infrastructure that enables the sprint teams to deliver safely, with regression built into the sprint.
You will be:
- An evangelist for test automation in Agile teams.
- A T-shaped individual contributor.
- Working as an individual contributor on one of the cross-disciplinary sprint teams.
- Recognising test automation opportunities at all test levels (not just at the user interface!).
- Collaborating within your sprint team and with other teams on test automation.
- Implementing and maintaining bespoke test automation frameworks, tools and infrastructure, using chosen best-fit technologies.
- Driving test automation on a sprint team, helping the team make automation part of the definition of done.
- Advertising, evangelising and communicating test automation to a wider audience.
Skills and Experience:
- You are educated to degree level or possess equivalent professional experience.
- You possess strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- You have strong attention to detail.
- You are self-motivated and target-driven.
- You are highly organised with a logical, methodical approach to work.
- You have great interpersonal skills.
- You have at least 5 years’ experience in Test Automation.
- You recognise test automation as a development activity.
- You haven’t used the record & playback approach to test automation in years and can explain its weaknesses to others.
- You can implement automated tests at many levels and don’t rely on a user interface being present.
- You are able to coach / mentor others on test automation tools and approaches.
- You understand a balanced test strategy is the best way forward. Test automation provides always there feedback allowing quality specialists to focus on creating exploratory test techniques.
Essential Skills and Technologies:
- Strong coding skills in one or more of C# / VB .net / java.
- Testing frameworks such as a NUnit (2 and 3), xUnit 2, JUnit.
- Human-readable acceptance test frameworks such as SpecFlow, Gherkin and Cucumber
- User interface automation frameworks such as TestStack.White, Selenium and Microsoft Coded UI.
- Continuous Integration Platforms such as Jenkins, Hudson, TeamCity, Cruise Control .net.
- Source Control with Git / TFVC.
- SQL to interrogate databases.
Salary: £43,000 - £47,000 depending on qualifications and experience.
- 25 days’ Holiday.
- 20% non-contributory Pension.
- 7 x Death in Service.
- Private Medical Insurance.
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme.
- Lovely Modern Offices.