Valued. Fulfilled. Family. Fun. Friends. Inspired. Energised. Expectant. Excited. Proud. Contented. Eager. Happy.
We asked people how they feel about working here. That’s what they said. Now let us tell you why.
We’re changing the world.
We’re changing who companies hire and how they hire them. We’re helping people to be better and we’re helping organisations to be smarter, to look not just at someone’s achievements, but to look at the context in which those achievements occurred. We’re helping businesses, and governments, and as many professions as we can, to look more like the communities and the countries that they serve.
And now we need your help.
When we started, we were tiny. There was one bloke, in the corner of someone else’s office, with an idea, a telephone, and some tenacity. Now there are nearly fifty of us, and we are the best in the world at what we do. We want you to come and make us even better.
How can I help?
You’ll work within a close-knit team of talented developers, designers and data analysts. Our team has developed an exciting API to integrate with third party database software used by our existing clients. We are also developing an innovative new web application with a mobile app to follow soon.
We are looking for someone who is intellectually energetic, curious and intensely focussed. We are looking for someone who naturally looks for innovative ways to use technology to streamline labour-intensive, manual processes. We are looking for someone who can appreciate the underlying complexity of software applications and communicate that in straightforward language to non-technical colleagues.
Your job will involve, amongst other things: maintenance and development of our existing in-house database; collaboration with a range of developers and researchers on several socially important outward-facing projects; invention of new technological solutions to increase the productivity of the whole Rare team.
If you join Rare you will go to sleep at night with a full heart, and you will wake up each morning and actually feel excited about coming in to work.
We can’t wait to meet you.
- Commercial experience of working within an Agile team using Scrum (essential)
- Experience of working with the Atlassian software suite (esp. JIRA) (essential)
- Good knowledge of relational databases, including MySQL and PostgreSQL (essential)
- Experience of writing RESTFul APIs using Python (essential)
- Experience in writing API clients in PHP using the cURL framework (essential)
- Good knowledge of Python and PHP (essential)
- Experience of using PHP and Python to manipulate and interrogate large data sets (essential)
- Intermediate understanding of the UK school and university scoring and admissions system. (essential)
- Experience working on significant, preferably social, research projects (preferred)
- Experience of conducting knowledge transfers with junior or non-technical team members (preferred)
- Masters Degree in a sciences subject (essential)
- Understand Rare’s social purpose and share our values.
- Love learning and often end up teaching yourself about interesting subjects.
- Be flexible - you will be working on multiple projects for multiple clients at the same time.
- Be highly conscientious and have high personal standards of integrity and organisation.
- Be commercial and focused on delivering results.
- Be tough and resilient and develop robust test plans that allow our software to be the same.
- Be comfortable talking to people from a range of ethnic and social backgrounds, and of both genders.
- Be collaborative in your approach and focus on the team’s goals as much as personal ones.
- Take feedback well.
About the role
We would love you to come and work in our office but we are also very open to working with all you talented digital nomads and remote workers. Please let us know which works best for you in your application. We are based in Clerkenwell, London. There are lots of marvellous eateries and places to go for a walk near us and interesting arty things happening. It’s a great area. Our office isn’t bad too - there is always fresh fruit, and other food treats from people who have been hired and chosen to thank us through the universal language of chocolate.
Oh, and WE HAVE A ROOF TERRACE AND A BARBEQUE. Yup.
We’d like you to start immediately please, and to work on a permanent basis, Monday to Friday 9-5.30 (BST). The salary is £31,500 pro rata.
To apply, please send your CV and a one-page cover letter outlining why you want to join Rare, why you want to do the job, and why you think you would be good at it, by 8th June 2017.
Please include your availability too. If you’ve read to the bottom of this advert then please let us know what you would like to cook on our BBQ.