Graduate Software Engineer
Capita ONE is part of the Capita Group, a FTSE 100 company. Capita ONE develops software that supports over 120 Local Authorities in England and Wales who require a single view of 'a child' to improve decision making, and enable early intervention and prevention.
This is an opportunity to work in an exciting environment of multi-disciplinary teams using industry standards, reflective practice and continuous improvements.
The role is based in Bedford, but there may be a requirement to travel to meet customers in the UK on occasion: typically day trips. The ONE Solutions department has approximately 150 staff (including 70 offshore) split between Project Management, Development, Test, Business Analysis and Development Services.
The Capita graduate programme has a strong focus on creating leaders; we want to give our graduates maximum exposure to what they can expect from working in a professional service environment. Graduates will work in a variety of roles, allowing them to gain hands on experience dealing with customers and clients, managing teams or groups and supporting our senior directors in delivering a sponsored project/initiative. Graduates will work within a variety of roles through the project lifecycle, and be fully involved in delivery of major product releases. In addition, Graduates will be:
- Coding simple software following coding standards and in accordance with applicable software, development methodology, release processes and quality requirements with guidance if required
- Creating and executing designs for small sets of new functionality (a few related classes) that form part of a larger solution with guidance if required
- Conducting unit, system and integration testing and bug fixing with guidance if required
- Utilising software engineering tools such as configuration management systems, build processes, and debuggers in the software development process
- Collaborating in peer code reviews
- Providing technical solutions to simple problems using sound problem solving techniques
- Performing root cause analysis and outlines corrective action for given problems
- Estimating level of effort for own work
- Investigating new technologies and make recommendations for adoption
- Working collaboratively with other team members in cross functional teams to achieve goals
- Reviewing product and/or application information including manuals and brochures for technical accuracy
- Keeping up to date with the latest software development technologies and methodologies
- Contributing regularly to discussions regarding internal process and system improvements in order to ensure maximum efficiency across the company
- Reporting appropriate exceptions and issues to lead developer providing options and recommendations to resolve them
- Performing other duties and responsibilities as directed
We are looking for enthusiastic self-starters who will bring fresh thinking, new ideas and energy to our business.
- BUILDING EFFECTIVE RELATIONSHIPS - Building internal and external relationships that inspire trust and respect. Developing and maintaining those relationships in the spirit of the Capita Values so that you are able to influence others to make things happen
- INNOVATION & CREATIVITY - Looking for new ways of working, exploring best practice and delivering original and imaginative approaches to delivery
- MAKING IT HAPPEN - Turning plans into successfully implemented actions, on time and on forecast
- CUSTOMER FOCUS - Consideration of the fair treatment of customers in all areas of our service
- DELIVERING - Applying a consistent approach to delivery and maintaining professional and ethical standards
- LEADERSHIP - Develop the knowledge, skills and confidence so as to be seen by others as a leader
- Educated to a degree level
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to influence others effectively
- Empathetic with good listening skills
- Relationship skills essential to role
- PC skills including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Desire to become a leader
- A self-starter who is capable of developing within their own role
- Ability to work independently and also as part of a team
- High standard of quality delivery, together with sense of urgency and ability to deliver results
- A friendly, helpful and positive manner, with an optimistic, open and flexible approach to change
- Preparedness to work in a variety of UK or Ireland locations if required
Follow Capita on twitter @capitacareers
Follow Capita on facebook @careersatcapita
Capita Resourcing welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Capita Resourcing is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
If you are successful with your application, you will need complete Capita's vetting and screening checks. This will include, but not be limited to, Reference Checks, a Criminality Check, Financial Probity Check, Sanctions Check and Media Check.