End User Computing - Infrastructure Engineer
End User Computing - Infrastructure Engineer HEO
IT infrastructure engineering is about the skills needed to manage the life cycle of the internal infrastructure, enabling the technology teams to build products and services which are easy to operate, scale and secure.
This involves skills in areas such as end user computing, mobile device management, server operating systems, storage area networks, virtualisation technologies, hosting and cloud services, Infrastructure as a Service, Platform as a Service and networking technologies.
Day-to-day you will be responsible for designing, creating, supporting and improving new and existing infrastructure services, products and platforms.
With this specific role we are looking for specialists in the field of End User Computing.
The main responsibilities of the post are:
- Defining, building, bringing into service, operating, supporting, performance monitoring, continually improving and decommissioning Infrastructure services (SaaS, IaaS, and PaaS), products and platforms to serve a variety of user needs;
- For the services, products and platforms supported:
- Managing incidents, requests, changes and problems
- Managing the configuration, availability, capacity, performance and cost;
- Drive continuous improvement activities.
- Maximise the use of tools and technologies to deliver operational excellence
- Active participation in wider communities of practice, identifying good practices we can adopt and sharing our experiences.
- Sharing knowledge of tools and techniques, and collaborating to improve the capability of the team.
- Maintain consistency between development and production environments.
Skills and Experience required for post -
Expert in Incident Management - Able to solve complex incidents and support the resolution of Major Incidents related to the services, products or platforms supported
Expert in Request Management - Able to service non-standard and complex requests related to the services, products or platforms supported.
Able to identify emerging trends in non-standard requests and introducing them into the service catalogue to reduce delivery cost.
Change and Release Management:
Expert at Change Management - Able to plan changes to the services, products and platforms supported.
Contributes to creating designs to change the services, products or platforms supported.
Problem Management: Working Knowledge at Problem Management - Able to manage to resolution a problem related to the services, products or platforms supported
Expert at Availability Management - Able to change and create processes which are required to maintain the operation and availability the services, products or platforms supported.
Able to identify and action opportunities to automate and shift-left availability activities.
Performance and Capacity Management:
Working Knowledge at Performance and Capacity Management - Able to monitor the performance of services, products and platforms against planned capacity usage and alert the team to the need to take action beyond the planned management activities.
Contributes to the forward looking capacity plan.
Creates planned activities to manage capacity.
Working Knowledge in Continuous Improvement - Able to make changes in operating procedures and the supported services, products and platforms to reduce the frequency and cost of activities.
Makes significant changes in procedures, minor changes in services, products and platforms and recommends shift-left opportunities.
Understands what they need to give to and get from the communities they are a part of.
Willingly shares knowledge and contributes to communities with a view to developing and improving the community.
Influences the goals and direction of the community.
Contributes to the development standards for their recognised skillset.
Specific technical skills & experience:
- Google Apps, Office 365, Exchange and SharePoint)
- Microsoft Windows operating systems/technologies
- Active Directory management
- Application installation
- Endpoint protection, disk encryption, peripheral control
- Mobile device management & BYOD
- Enterprise printer management
- Network Share Administration
- Dell/Lenovo/Lexmark technologies,
- BlueCoat Proxy Administration
- RAS Administration
- Networking including Wi-Fi
- Virtualisation technologies including VDI
Please refer to attached Role Profile for appropriate level of specific technical skills and experience for grade
Civil service competencies level 3
- Changing and Improving
- Making Effective Decisions
- Collaborating and Partnering
- Leading and Communicating
- Managing a Quality Service