Acoustician & Software Engineer (STEM graduates may apply)
We are looking for an immediate hire. If you are a scientist or electical engineer with demonstrable software development experience, we can offer you a competitive salary of £25,000 - £50,000 p/a.
This is a genuine opportunity to join a one-of-a-kind, small and high-tech company involved in ground-breaking, exciting research and development. We are looking for a self-motivated software developer, ideally with prior experience in developing FPGA applications which handle data acquisition from voltage based sensors. As the majority of our source code is pre-existing, you will develop on an already existing set of small programs.
However, an added bonus would be the ability to demonstrate a practical understanding of sampling analogue signals, time domain and frequency domain spectra from acoustic sources, including signal classification, statistical description, frequency aliasing and digital filtering.
You will have the required qualifications & expertise:
- An honours degree (BSc, MSc or PhD) in Acoustics or a STEM related field, such as Physics, Mathematics or Electronics.
It would be good if you also had practical experience of:
- Experience of developing within the Visual Studio environment.
- Experience with developing database matching scripts in Matlab.
- Experience with National Instruments.
- Practical electrical & software debugging experience, including reading wiring diagrams and system schematics.
- Experience in a second language other than C, such as Python, Java or R for data analysis purposes.
- Ability to learn new skills/languages/applications/opensource quickly for minor developments (API's).
Duties and responsibilities:
You will interact directly with our in-house electronic engineers to design and develop upon existing source code and hardware based applications by:
- Programming memory and speed efficient applications, Object Oriented Programming and Event-based architectures
- Developing these functions within a Visual Studio environment
- Integrating API’s into the development environment
- Developing intuitive GUIs for end users
- Providing timely, accurate and effective solutions to technical problems
- Providing guidance on the installation and working functionality of both software and hardware, including explanation of configuration settings
- Reproducing and troubleshooting problems and incompatibilities in both software and hardware
- Travel in the UK, occasional overseas
The right candidate will also possess the following qualities and features:
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks and enjoy working within a scientific environment with a range of personalities
- Strong problem solving skills to analyse the problem and think creatively to provide a solution
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills are key
- Ability to deal effectively with customers and internal requirements in order to make solutions 'fit-for-purpose’ is essential
- Ability to get along with others and function as a team player as well as work effectively alone
- A proactive and 'can do' attitude is vital
- Passion & interest for learning new technology
You agree to provide the following information as part of your interview process, which may require vetting:
- That you are a naturalised citizen of the United Kingdom with the legal entitlement to work. Sponsorship is not available.
- A copy of your passport and valid UK driving license.
This role is based in Southampton, Hampshire, UK.