Senior IT Infrastructure Engineer / Team Lead
We are recruiting on behalf of a client in the UK training sector who requires an experienced and senior IT Infrastructure Engineer.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced IT engineer/analyst Team Lead to make a major contribution to the support and maintenance of a large IT estate. This role requires someone with strong technical expertise and the ability to mentor and manage a small team of 3 Infrastructure engineers/analysts. The successful candidate needs to possess excellent people skills and will be required to manage the teams daily activities as well as mentoring for growth. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to progress their leadership skills whilst staying hands-on technically.
Over the course of the next year the client will be transitioning to more cloud technology. There is the opportunity to become involved in the selection and transition programme, further developing the breadth and depth of your skills in project, cloud and security related work.
We are looking for a highly capable and self-organised completer/finisher who is able to balance their day to day support work with longer term Infrastructure planning and strategy.
The successful candidate will join a mature and professional IT team with low staff turnover. The client is one of the largest for profit professional training companies in the UK and part of a leading global education business and is a "One to watch" on the Sunday Times best companies to work for list 2016.
The core responsibilities of the IT Infrastructure Engineer Team Lead are: -
- On a day to day basis ensure the client’s core infrastructure is monitored and maintained to a high quality with specific reference to availability, performance, security and operability. This will cover servers, networks, telecoms, firewalls/routers/switches and storage
- Manage incidents in a structured way ensuring rigor in problem management and resolution and lead on root cause analysis of complex technical faults
- Manage the commissioning and configuration of new services to high levels of quality including rigorous testing and creation of documentation
- Undertake regular technical systems reviews and health checks to ensure that technology is operating effectively and fit for purpose
- Evaluate new technologies and participate in technology projects, strategy development and hardware, software and infrastructure services selection
- Assist in driving through change to meet essential systems and data security certifications and accreditations (e.g. ISO 27001, PCI, Cyber Essentials)
- Research and implement security and firewall strategies with assistance from network and security colleagues/vendors
- Work with security and network colleagues to identify, isolate and remove all reported data security threats and mitigate key security risks
- Provide expert technical guidance on the analysis of network needs and contribute to the design of network architecture, integration and installation.
- Provide technical assistance to, and coach/mentor, 2nd line support colleagues
Mandatory Technical Requirements
- Considerable experience in Virtualisation (VMware, Citrix and Hyper-V), enterprise storage technologies (NetApps) and Windows Server technologies
- Comprehensive understanding of Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, and GPO
- A thorough understanding of switching and routing of LANs, WANs, VPN and 802.1x and network optimisation tools
- Good knowledge of Netscaler - in relation to Citrix, load balancing and configuration
- Good understanding of Internet protocols and troubleshooting (FTP, HTTP(s), SMTP, SSH, Telnet, TLS/SSL, TCP, UDP, SNMP)
- Broad experience of security and switching technologies including next generation firewalls (Palo Alto) and Cisco L2/L3 switches
- Keen understanding of current security landscape & familiar with security best practice
- Exposure to Cloud computing environments and IaaS technologies in general (e.g. AWS/Azure) would be a distinct advantage
- Experience in day to day team management and mentoring of junior team members
- Experience of working with regulatory compliance regimes e.g. PCI, SOX, ISO 27001, and GDPR
- Experience of Security Incident & Event Management (SIEM) systems and LAMP (e.g. Debian, Unbuntu, centOS)
- VOIP & wireless technologies
- Experience of working within an ITIL service management framework
- Experience of working in well run data centres, and working with cloud providers and managed services vendors
- Deployment and management of vulnerability and patch management systems
- Configuration and management of endpoint security products (e.g. McAfee)
- Familiarity with application deployment tools (e.g. SCCM) and processes
- Very strong team player with excellent interpersonal and communications skills. The role holder will need to have credibility, be articulate and supportive of their technical peers and business users at all levels
- Passionate about technology and keen to promote that passion to the wider team
- Results focused with a strong work ethic and natural completer/finisher propensity
- Highly professional attitude taking pride in personal and team achievements
- Highly motivated, self-managing and equally comfortable giving and taking direction
- Level headed, clear thinker with ability to see the bigger picture and work towards strategic goals
- Excellent problem solver and demonstrates good judgement in balancing quality versus risk when implementing changes and configuring systems.
A competitive salary is offered circa £50k-£58k dependent upon experience. The client offers a full and flexible benefits package including pension and healthcare. Whilst some out of hours work is occasionally required the role is more typically based on standard office hours. The Infrastructure team has a very low staff turnover and the working environment and the north/central London location are ideal. The post is a permanent and full time position based in Central/North London N7.
Loyal Retainers are acting as an agency in regards to this position