£48,000 - £60,000 + Excellent Benefits
Based Wythall, South Birmingham (B47)
Permanent or Temporary basis
Please note; this is a permanent role, but we would also be happy to talk to candidates interesting in pursuing this opportunity on a 12-month fixed term contract basis.
Do you want to put your specialist actuarial reporting knowledge to good use, with one of Britain's Top Employers? We have an exciting opportunity to lead a small team of technical experts, helping to ensure the economic assumptions used in our actuarial modelling systems are fit for purpose and expertly reviewed. You will be joining one of the teams within our Actuarial Reporting Production function, a technical team that is responsible for the inputs, front-line initial review, reporting and consolidation of outputs from MG-ALFA, our cloud-based actuarial modelling platform.
The implementation of MG-ALFA has already enabled a high degree of harmonisation across our actuarial reporting processes, but with Solvency II now firmly embedded in our organisation, and with our ongoing commitment to working to accelerated reporting timescales, our ability to provide timely, accurate and high-quality results from our core modelling software and its associated processes continues to be high on the agenda - and this is where you come in!
This is a specialist role where you will be directly responsible for leading and managing a team of Senior Actuarial Analysts and Technicians. The team is responsible for the production and validation of Economic Scenario Generator (ESG) inputs for MG-ALFA. There's a great mix of "business as usual" activity and project work, and you'll be working with key stakeholders across the Finance and Actuarial functions, ensuring effective processes and controls are in place, whilst using your ESG knowledge to evaluate, interpret and implement any regulatory changes.
In addition, you will manage third party relationships with our external ESG provider and at the same time display the necessary expertise to adapt the role to accommodate significant business changes, such as fund mergers, potential acquisitions and proposed new projects.
Other responsibilities include:
- adhering to and identifying improvements in the control framework and processes within the team;
- ensuring ESGs are produced and validated to SII standards; and
- producing reports for delivery to customers including ESG control report using actuarial judgement to quantify the impact of ESG changes on fund level results.
What we’re looking for:
We'll expect you to:
- be a nearly or newly qualified actuary with a strong understanding of relevant actuarial technical concepts and the ability to apply this appropriately to all work undertaken;
- be an expert, or the ability to become an expert, in ESGs and relevant processes and systems;
- be able to demonstrate a high degree of technical actuarial knowledge and know-how, along with a reasonable level of commercial awareness and proven analytical ability;
- have solid and appropriate IT skills; and
- have a strong track record in delivering high quality work in a controlled manner within a strict operating framework - including an appreciation of the importance of applying actuarial controls within a regulatory environment.
In addition, an ability to clearly communicate findings and recommendations to senior actuarial colleagues and other stakeholders is essential.
We place a strong emphasis on our core values of teamwork, ownership, continuous improvement and personal development. If these values ring true with you, then we’d love to hear from you!
The Phoenix Group is unique - we're now the largest UK consolidator of closed life assurance funds, protecting the interests of over 6 million policyholders with assets under management of over £74 billion. Careers with Phoenix Group are different; if you’re looking for intellectually challenging work with one of Britain’s Top Employers in an unrivalled environment, we might just be the place for you!
N.B. When on the Phoenix Careers site, first time visitors will be asked to register before applying.
Closing date: Midnight, Sunday 28th May 2017.