Windows Technical Lead
£31,270 - £35,891 + Excellent Benefits
- 5 days annual leave + bank holidays (rising to 32.5 days)
- One of the most generous occupational pension schemes on the market
- Corporate Performance Pay available for all permanent employees
- We encourage career development and even have an onsite college for training
- Flexible working is available to promote work/life balance
- Free car park, excellent access to public transport and a cycle to work scheme
- Onsite Gym, open 24/7
- Many other benefits including onsite restaurants and a variety of clubs
The Met Office Technology and Information Services (TIS) programme delivers innovative technical solutions and support services enabling the delivery of the Met Office’s world-leading science to customers using world-leading technology solutions.
The Platforms team manages the operating system and core application software on a large, diverse and challenging estate. This includes the business and scientific desktop systems for over 1800 users, as well as a large number of operational and corporate server systems. The core operating systems are Microsoft and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and the team use a variety of management tools to facilitate support of the estate.
A vacancy has arisen for a Windows-focused Technical Lead. You should expect to be involved in the entire lifecycle of Windows platforms from a system administration perspective, including requirements gathering, design, development, roll-out to users, and system decommissioning. The Technical Lead role has a major impact on the creation of operational platforms and applicants will require an in depth understanding of Windows server and desktop architecture and have a strong focus on delivery through coordination with multiple IT teams.
A current focus is the delivery of Mobile IT solutions, centred around the Microsoft Office365 suite
This is an exciting opportunity to work in a dynamic team delivering support and development services which are essential to the success of the Met Office.
The Tech Leads provide technical leadership for the Support and Development of the Platforms team’s Windows, Linux, and Mac estate within the Infrastructure & Operations Sub-Programme including lifecycle management of the infrastructure.
1. Provide technical consultancy to the business, including Portfolio Managers, Project Managers and customers with regard to the development and maintenance of services to ensure that expectations are realistic and projects will meet the business requirements.
2. Support the delivery of the Platforms team’s services by pro-actively addressing issues which have a wider impact on service delivery, and contributing to the planning and development of the Platforms team’s workload and, when necessary, for Infrastructure and the wider TIS teams.
3. Develop the team’s processes and procedures, where necessary in association with any of the other Tech Leads, Team Leads, and management as required, so that it can continue to efficiently meet the changing needs of the Met Office to successfully run the business
4. Line Management responsibility for team members, ensuring staff performance and development issues are managed, mentor and motivate individuals to get the best out of the team.
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
1. Degree in Computing, Mathematics or other numerate subject - or equivalent experience.
2. Evidence of providing leadership to IT system administration teams.
3. Ability to provide direction at a technical level on current Windows systems, and enterprise level server and client technologies
4. Experience of refining requirements and creating, owning and delivering a solution design.
5. Ability to communicate clearly, enthusiastically and professionally with a range of customers and colleagues.
6. Good team-working skills and the ability to work to your own initiative
7. Demonstrable knowledge of IT security principles.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
1. Experience of line management.
2. Proven experience in a wider variety of IT disciplines in a corporate support and development environment, such as Linux administration, high availability methods, capacity planning, service monitoring and reviews.
Additional Supplementary Information
Closing date for applications - 28th May 2017
To apply, please click on the link below and attach the most recent version of your CV, along with a cover letter which briefly states your experience against each essential criteria.
This recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and therefore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK / EU without restriction. If you are a non-EU candidate you will be required to provide and attach all relevant eligibility documentation to your application at the time of applying.