Lead DBA - Database Administrator
Lead DBA Database Administrator - Oracle, SQL, London, Leading Telco.
WORLD LEADING TELECOMS HOUSE with plush modern offices in the heart of London, free gym, subsidised canteen and onsite bar, my client can offer a state art environment and a first class career at the forefront of the telecoms arena. A full benefits package, LARGE PENSION and LARGE BONUS are on offer. Flexible working hours.
Group IT Operations implements the strategy for office and Business Systems infrastructure for the group globally. It also undertakes management and operational duties for all Group IT infrastructure and ecosystem including servers, applications and databases. The Infrastructure Delivery team based in London & Canada, are responsible for performing this function within the London & St John's Data Centres as well as supporting other geographical locations. The Database Administrator is a member of the DBA team within Production Services.
The Infrastructure Architecture & Delivery team has two functions:
This includes oversight of system monitoring, backup and recovery, 2nd, 3rd line support including on call support
Infrastructure Evolution and Development
Implementing the strategy for storage, server, database and operational infrastructure. The Infrastructure Architecture & Delivery team has relationships throughout the organisation
To lead the DBA function within the Infrastructure Delivery team:
- Providing support and maintenance to existing estate of Oracle, MS SQL Server and other database products that underpin a wide array of business systems.
- Providing database administration support to projects through all design and delivery phases
- Providing development support to the various software delivery teams across the group including optimisation of SQL code.
- Monitoring database performance and in conjunction with server and storage colleagues and implement measures to ensure optimal performance particularly on production databases.
- Maintenance and implementation of real time error monitoring of all databases
- Maintenance and implementation of capacity planning
- Support and evolution of the data protection regime comprising Backup and DR provision.
- Provision of 24x7 production on call support as part of a rota
- To mentor non-DBA colleagues in the system services and other BAU teams to reduce reliance on DBA resource for BAU database operational tasks.
- 5+ years as a production DBA with deep knowledge of both Oracle (> 10g)
- Experience with MS SQL Server version 2008 R2 and above
- Knowledge and experience of working as a DBA in one or more of following environments:
? Solaris, Windows and Linux operating systems.
· Understanding of enterprise Storage fundamentals (SAN & NAS) in a DBA context
· Experience of database clustering technologies, such as Oracle Real Application Clusters and SQL Server clustering/mirroring.
· Good knowledge of implementing and maintaining backup strategies using RMAN.
· Experience of implementing and testing database DR strategies.
· Experience of Oracle Enterprise Manager
Desirable knowledge and skills:
- Experience of NoSQL Database technologies such as Cassandra or MongoDB
- Implementing and managing databases on Public Cloud platforms
- Experience of implementing and managing Databases within a DevOps team
- Experience of automating DBA delivery and management tasks using common orchestration tools such as Chef, Ansible, Puppet, SaltStack etc.
- Experience with the Oracle Exadata platform
- Experience with Oracle RAC
- Experience with VMWare technology
- Experience of implementing database backups using VERITAS NetBackup
- Experience of monitoring tools including Nagios and SolarWinds DPA
- Knowledge of PL/SQL or other DBA development tools
- Knowledge and experience of formal business operations procedures (e.g. ITIL)