Head of Tax - Accountancy & Finance - Newcastle upon Tyne
Our client is a Blue Chip organisation with over 100 years’ experience. They work throughout the UK and USA, with businesses in Canada, the Middle East and South East Asia. Priding themselves on having expert teams which are trusted to deliver a broad range of services across a variety of sectors.
This position will be reporting directly into the FD and you will be running and developing the tax and expenses teams under the shared service model and the processes which are undertaken therein.
You will develop the managers within the team to allow them to deliver a standardised approach to their team members. Providing technical review as required, to ensure a robust, controlled process which achieves key reporting deadlines. Together with the Head of Development, you will work towards the transition of any related/remaining work that should be delivered by the team in a centralised, shared service environment.
- Primarily for this Head of Tax position, you will lead a team of ten responsible for the delivery of the Statutory accounts; Year end and interim group reporting process for UK tax; UK tax compliance and advisory work; and Indirect tax compliance;
- Secondary focus will be responsible for the performance and development of all people within the team, instilling in your direct reports a good people management discipline;
- You will form part of the Accounting Services leadership team and will be expected to contribute to wider strategy and direction and deliver programmes across the department;
- You will be the voice of your team and as such be responsible for increasing its integration within the wider finance team in Newcastle, raising the profile of those within the team and visibility of their achievements;
- You will be expected to work closely with Group and tax and will be instrumental in developing and influencing tax strategy to mitigate risk and reduce tax leakage;
- You will review and sign all UK corporation tax returns on behalf of the group and lead on all related compliance activities - e.g. RDEC claim, capital allowances claim, group relief surrenders;
- You will initiate and review technical analysis as required or instructed by group or company tax;
- You will be responsible for the Senior Accounting Officer process and submissions.
- Ideally you will be a Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA or CTA);
- You may already be working within Industry or on a Secondment from the Big Four or be within Practice and have a close relationship with your PLC client,
- Proven experience as a senior tax person within an organisation, with considerable accounting and compliance knowledge;
- Strong understanding of all transactional finance processes and their impact on tax compliance process;
- Experience in preparing and reviewing corporate tax returns, statutory accounts and VAT returns
- Good knowledge of "best practice" in process management and compliance within finance
- Well-developed influencing and assertiveness skills and be a strong problem solver with analytical skills