My client is a leading manufacturer and distributor in the South West employing staff totalling approximately 200 with a proven continuing record of growth. They are one of the UK's largest specialist manufacturers with departments in customer services, marketing, finance, IT, sales, human resources, manufacturing, purchasing, warehousing and retail. Products are available in over 60 countries and over 2000 quality retail shops worldwide.
Their specialist products have been used in wide-ranging projects from English country pubs to international opera houses, and from the homes of Hollywood film stars to Arabian mosques.
Reports To: Retail Manager
The hours are 38¾ hours per week worked over five days with some weekend working. Hours are normally 09:00 to 17:30 on weekdays, 09:00 to 17:00 on Saturday and 10:00 to 16:00 on Sunday, with weekend working credited as having worked a full day of 7¾ hours.
As part of the Retail Team, you will be is responsible for providing knowledgeable help and advice to customers in a professional, personalised and friendly manner.
Based at both Exeter and Plymton Retail Stores
- Greet customers and ascertain what each customer wants or needs, without being overbearing.
- Complete a sale efficiently, being able to accurately handle money, credit card transactions etc. and provide the customer and the company with the necessary paperwork associated with the sale.
- Maintain knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices.
- Continually learn about the product ranges.
- Maintain records related to sales.
- Watch for and recognise security risks and thefts, and know how to prevent or handle these situations.
- Recommend, select, and help locate or obtain merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
- Answer questions regarding the store and its merchandise.
- Describe the range of products and explain the use, operation, and care of them to customers.
- Ticket, arrange and display merchandise to promote sales.
- Take delivery of stock from the main warehouse and store appropriately.
- With the help of the rest of the team, ensure good housekeeping is maintained - a clean and tidy shop is essential.
- If required, help customers to their vehicle with purchased product.
- Inventory stock.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to liaise with customers to discuss a particular project or idea and develop a genuine understanding of the client's needs.
- Be able to suggest design concepts and proposals and present these to customers;
- Have the ability to adapt design skills to promote products;
- Be creative, imaginative and energetic;
- Have a flair for design and colour;
- Be willing to learn about the product and be able to retain the information;
- Be able to convey information effectively and accurately;
- Have a good educational background, with the ability to understand basic mathematics (e.g. addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, calculation of areas);
- Have a valid driving licence;
- Be willing to lift boxes of tiles;
- Work some weekends as part of the staff rota, working five days over a seven day period;
- Be IT literate;
- Be a team player;
- Be reliable and able to work unsupervised;
- A flair for interior design with previous work experience and/or studies in art and design would be a definite advantage.
- An interest in DIY would be a benefit.
This is a fantastic opportunity for the right person to join and progress in a forward thinking and truly dynamic retailer.
Please send your CV today.