Head of Clinical Negligence
Job Title: Head of Clinical Negligence Department (National)
Reports to: Director of Complex Personal Injury Service Area: Clinical Negligence
My client is looking for an experienced Solicitor to work in their London office to manage the National Clinical Negligence team, across the country. The successful candidate will be responsible for fee earning, managing the National Clinical Negligence Department team personnel and coordinating Clinical Negligence business strategy and development.
* Drive departmental strategy and revenue growth.
* Drive marketing strategy and business development.
* Responsibility for meeting key departmental financial objectives
* Responsibility for organisational design and department structure
* Lead the Clinical Negligence team in carrying the departmental strategy forward and developing regular review procedures to monitor and progress the strategic plan.
* Implement the Clinical Negligence Dept Business plan, translating the strategic goals into operational plans
* Co-ordinate the work within the Clinical Negligence Dept team, ensuring that the allocation of work and resources is fair and consistent.
* Ensure that all staff within the team receive the relevant and necessary training required by them
* Organise and chair team meetings
* Conduct appraisals
* Recruit and manage capability issues in conjunction with Divisional Director and HR
* Manage the finances of the team, ensuring the team stays within the set budgets
* Work with CC Law and external agencies to ensure bills are accurately drawn and fees agreed and collected in a timely way
* Maintain, manage and develop existing relationships within the team and department, both internal and external
* Conduct regular case reviews and fee earner reviews to ensure compliance with Legal Aid Agency, Lexcel and house protocol
* Ensure all statutory and compliance obligations are met
* Meeting existing SLAs where these are in place with trade unions, BTE insurers, marketing cooperatives, charities and other third party referrers and developing new relationships
* Represent the interests of the Clinical Negligence Department where required by the wider business in the course of tenders or other bids for new business
* Develop local business
* Participation in the development, marketing and success of the Clinical Negligence Dept team, to include developing the website business
* Providing support to our Polish and foreign language service
* Detailed knowledge of Clinical Negligence work, including claims of the utmost severity and birth injury claims, procedural, advocacy, drafting and practical skills
* To conduct a caseload of matters on behalf of clients as directed and in accordance with the Firm's file management and supervisory policy
* To maintain a diary and bring up entries in accordance with the firm procedures
* To work with a case management system, databases and normal office IT systems
* Detailed knowledge of relevant forms and procedures
* Compliance with the firms Money Laundering Procedures
* Compliance with the Data Protection Act
Experience / Knowledge / Qualifications
* 5 years' post qualification experience of running a Clinical Negligence caseload including cases of the utmost severity and birth injury claims
* A proven ability to lead and manage a team of fee earners and support staff in a sensitive, professional and competent way
* A friendly and co-operative approach to clients and colleagues/dept members
* Strong business development skills
* Strong marketing skills
* Good knowledge and understanding of Clinical Negligence work
* Experience of managing LAA contracts
* Excellent IT skills
* Good knowledge and understanding of procedures and protocol.
* Good practical skills, including proven negotiation skills
* Good personal organisation and ability to adhere to strict time limits.
* Strong interpersonal skills
* The ability to deal with individuals from all walks of life
* The ability to prioritise work when necessary
* The ability to provide the highest standards of client care
* A commitment to equal opportunities and diversity
Please contact Josh Minzie, Legal Recruitment Consultant, to discuss the role in more detail or apply through the vacancy for immediate consideration.
Douglas Scott are a legal recruitment expert and the UK's leading law firms trust us with their legal vacancies. We are a regulated recruitment consultancy and will discuss this role and seek your approval before submitting an application directly to the decision maker.
Please see our websitewww.douglas-scott.co.uk for more legal positions.