Front-End Web Developer
The role on offer
We are looking for a talented and proactive Front-End Web Developer who will relish the opportunity to work within our small team and take on a key role in the development of web solutions over multiple interesting and varied client projects.
A minimum of two years’ commercial experience in a development role is required, whether working on a single project or across multiple projects at once. Agency experience is preferred. We will offer a competitive salary based on your experience up to £30,000.
Candidates who are available to start immediately are also preferred.
If this sounds like the role for you, apply now with your CV, a comprehensive cover letter and any links to examples of your work.
Interviews will take place on an ongoing basis and applications are open until the position is filled.
About the company
Pendulum is a creative web and media agency based in Vauxhall, London. Our aim is to blend amazing design with robust digital development, specialising in driving forward the art of digital communication. Our clients range from start-ups to multinational corporations, and whether they need a small portfolio site or a large e-commerce solution, our work is tailored to fit their requirements perfectly.
As a team, we are a friendly bunch working in a relaxed and comfortable office atmosphere with background music, frequent teas and coffees on the brew and regular pub lunches.
Being part of the Pendulum team, you will be able to grow in your profession and vastly extend your knowledge of the field whilst gaining valuable industry experience. As an inevitable part of our field, we are constantly learning new technologies and uses of them to deliver on client requirements in a unique fashion. As we deal with all aspects of design and development, our developers have the opportunity to feed into all stages of our projects, from conceptual designs and wireframing, through to the actual development and go-live of projects.
Essential technical skills
- Capable of building responsive front-end designs using component-based CSS UI frameworks (e.g. Bootstrap).
- Proficiency in PHP and MySQL.
- Experience with WordPress and WooCommerce, especially developing custom themes and plugins.
- Ability to convert designs from Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign) into code.
- Understanding and application of cross-browser and cross-device testing.
Essential non-technical skills
- Great at working within a team or on your own depending on the size of the project being undertaken.
- Comfortable being able to be directed by a team lead or taking control of projects as necessary.
- A quick starter, able to adapt to different workflows depending on the needs of each project.
- Conscious of schedules and the high importance of delivering projects on time.
- Able to provide frequent status updates either internally or to clients as appropriate.
- Good at writing documentation, both technical in code and non-technical for clients.
- Great attention to detail in writing and to ensure products match designs.
- Excellent communication skills including very good written and spoken English for interacting with clients by email, in person and over the phone.
Bonus technical skills
We don’t expect you to be familiar with all of these but we’ll look favourably upon those who can demonstrate some experience with the following:
- CSS preprocessors Sass and LESS.
- BEM methodology for CSS.
- AJAX interaction with server-side interfaces.
- PHP frameworks (e.g. Phalcon, Laravel, CodeIgniter, CakePHP).
- Object-oriented programming principles.
- npm, Grunt and Gulp, and their use within the web development workflow.
- Git, Git Flow and version control.
- Database schema design and normalisation.
- Deployment of websites onto staging and live servers including configuration of domains.