Charity Shop Manager - London
Emmaus Greenwich sells recycled furniture, clothes etc in 5 stores in London and provides a home and work for 33 previously-homeless people (our "companions")
We are looking for an experienced shop manager for 1 of our largest and most successful stores, located near Chrisp Street Market, Poplar (All Saints DLR).
You will need to understand and be passionate about furniture reuse and fashion retailing, but also be able to engage effectively with our companions, volunteers and the local community, upholding the ideals of Emmaus.
Closing date for application: 31 May 2017
Help tackle homelessness. Help the environment. Join Emmaus.
- Deliver excellent customer service, aiming to build brand loyalty and repeat custom
- Use creative flair to ensure a consistently high standard of merchandise display
- Improve financial performance, inspiring the team to consistently meet and exceed targets
- Recruit, manage and develop a team of high performing volunteers
- Work closely with our companions, both in the shop and elsewhere in the community
- Ensure compliance with Emmaus-wide retail policies, procedures and controls
- Be an ambassador for Emmaus, inspiring both your team and customers
- Shop manager in the charity sector, with at least 5 years retail experience
- Retail experience in clothes and ideally furniture
- People management, with outstanding leadership skills
- Organising staff rotas and workload
- Cash handling, banking and reporting
- Merchandising experience, skilled at maximising sales through shop layout, managing stock levels, running promotions etc
- Salary: up to £24,000 pa dependent on skills and experience
- Location: Chrisp Street, Poplar, LB of Tower Hamlets (All Saints DLR)
- Job Type: Permanent (6 months probationary period)
- Hours: 40 hours per week. Attendance on Saturday is required and possibly on Sunday.
- Benefits: 25 days holiday plus bank holidays; eligible for pension scheme (5% employer contribution on pensionable salary)
- DBS check: The role will involve contact with vulnerable people and will therefore be subject to a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check
Emmaus Greenwich is part of the wider Emmaus UK and International movement which aims to help tackle the homelessness problem by providing a home, support and work to 33 previously homeless men and women (our "companions"). We recycle furniture, clothes, bric-a-brac, electrical equipment, books, etc and deliver environmental benefits by reducing the unnecessary tipping of usable items. Our companions live in our community and work in a variety of areas including the collection/delivery of items, our retail outlets, our workshop, etc. We aim to give back to our companions their self-respect and help them move on to independent living after their stay in the community.