This an exciting and unique opportunity to join alva, a London and New York based fast-growth technology company.
We are looking for "A players" that thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast paced environment and have the drive and the intellect to achieve success.
We analyse the world’s content, we link it to your performance, you make better decisions.
alva is a technology company that analyses publicly-available content to create decision-ready intelligence for the largest companies in the world.
Our monitoring and analysis offering consolidates in one platform all the content and analysis relevant to a company, its products, competitors, issues and stakeholders so that they can obtain simple, clear and relevant intelligence.
Our customers are professionals in Communications, Corporate Affairs, Marketing, Risk and Strategy departments.
We have offices in London and New York.
alva was founded in 2010 with a very clear mission: to develop content intelligence and link it to business performance.
As a pioneering London based technology company free from the burden of legacy systems, high headcount and ingrained behaviours, alva’s mission to help Customers make better informed decisions based on genuine intelligence and to consolidate expensive, segregated, reactive services into one global platform has become a reality.
Over the past 15 years, media and social media monitoring and analysis, as well as surveys and polls have all acted as limited proxies for reputation, providing incomplete and often expensive, contradictory views of a company’s reputation. With only fragmented, low quality data previously available, companies and their executives have been poorly served by the market, often having to resort to instinct or intuition for critical decisions.
These traditional approaches are even less compatible in today’s always-on, interconnected environment, characterised by vast amounts of publicly-available content.
alva is revolutionising this model. Our powerful content monitoring and analytics technology informs organisations what’s happening in real time, 24/7, so they can reduce reputation risk, leverage competitive advantage and increase stakeholder support.
Over the past five years, alva has developed proprietary technology to provide intelligence through a blend of sophisticated, smart filtering and algorithmic scoring technology coupled with human expertise. Working with 35% of the FTSE100, alva monitors and analyses millions of pieces of publicly available content per day to provide decision-ready intelligence.
Purpose of role
The System Manager is responsible for day to day system support, procedures, support and team leadership of our growing tech team. The office technical environment is predominately Windows desktop PC with some Macs and RHEL (Linux) servers running Microsoft Office365 tools and some other products. Our core data processing system uses custom built applications running on Linux with a mixture of types of large scale databases.
The ideal candidate will have strong technical experience of Windows, Microsoft Office 365, Linux (RHEL) user support and support procedure development and process management as well as some experience of Mac platforms and good networking and general IT systems and infrastructure awareness. Excellent written and spoken English is required and an aptitude for documentation and reporting is highly desirable.
- Day to day support of users’ service issues, taking ownership of the users’ problem from initial query through to resolution
- Resolving technical issues hands-on using system tools and hands-on technical knowledge
- Day to day system management, health checking, status report production, monitoring and fault identification and resolution
- Writing Linux shell scripts, configuring, building and managing Linux servers
- Configuring and building Windows PCs, managing Office365 configurations
- Email configuration and management, server management
- Work closely with Development on system deployments, tests and pilot releases
- ITIL Process ownership and implementation
- Documentation of systems and processes, maintenance of configuration data
- Generate weekly system reports covering projects, deployments and support
- Manage supplier contracts for key service providers
- Assist the CTO and Development Manager on technical change and implementation projects
To be considered for this role, you will ideally have experience in an IT support team leader role, having an IT infrastructure support background. Your written and verbal communication in English will be excellent and you will be thorough in writing documentation and managing requests and processes through to completion.
- Technically experienced in IT infrastructure and commonly used technologies (Windows, Office, Linux, Mac optional)
- Familiar with Linux server and command line tools and shell scripting
- A hands-on problem resolver - able to assess and resolve technical problems directly
- Excellent written and spoken English, able to write documentation professionally
- Thorough and detailed in attitude - a "completer-finisher" attitude
- Experience of project management and project reporting
- Some experience of small team leadership, and desire to develop this skill
- Flexible in approach to users and management, responsive to fast changing demands
- Some commercial and/or supplier management experience
Location: Southwark, London