£60k + flexible benefits package
These are exciting times for our client. We are doing something different here in London working with open source technologies in our brand new delivery hub. It’s a great time to join the team - we are changing the way we look, behave, and do business. As a result we're looking for talented individuals who can help deliver these new and innovative open source projects.
What are we looking for from you? You will be someone who already makes a difference; we will give you the freedom and responsibility to continue doing so. You will already know how to undertake user research and have an affinity for user challenges, and you will help shape our culture. And of course, you will be part of a fast-growing, pioneering working environment as we expand our capability to meet the increasing demand from our clients.
We're offering the best of both worlds - you will be joining a new, vibrant start-up business in London but also having the comfort of being part of a large, financially stable organisation.
The User Researcher will undertake activities to ensure that products are created with user requirements right at the heart. During an engagement you will work as part of a multi disciplinary project team following direction, guidance and approach set by the Delivery Manager (Scrum Master) and the Business Analysis Lead.
User Researchers work to generate the feedback and insight digital delivery teams need to build a clear picture of their users and deliver solutions that they need. They will support clients by generating new and useful user insights and translating it into features and actions that will allow them to iteratively improve their digital service for users.
You should be experienced in using a variety of user testing methodologies to reveal actionable customer insights. You will have excellent analytical and problem solving skills, and the ability to quickly develop recommendations based on quantitative and qualitative evidence. You will need to be confident in explaining user needs to senior clients and stakeholders, and for acting as a persuasive advocate for those needs both within the team and the client at large. You will also be comfortable working with data, from gathering and analysis through to design and presentation.
The User Researcher will be required to:
- plan, design and conduct in-house usability testing sessions to support the design and development of client services
- lead the usability testing process from developing user recruitment briefs through to test moderation, analysis and report writing
- conduct in-house research to test new product and concept developments (including user requirements gathering and early stage concept and prototype testing, guerrilla research, and other approaches to ensuring the user need is fully understood in the service design)
- work with clients to devise appropriate research strategies to generate focused insights and to convert concepts into high quality stimulus material
- work closely with designers and developers to turn user data into actionable product/service requirements that feed into prototype development, and influence product direction
- design, script and analyse ad-hoc quantitative surveys
- support ad-hoc qualitative/quantitative research projects such as proposition development, visual identity and customer experience mapping
- Define personas and user journeys
- apply knowledge in human factors, ethnography, and the user-centred design process to product and service design in an iterative development environment
- present findings and related design/business recommendations and customer insights to senior decision makers
- manage day-to-day operations with a range of usability and market research agencies with accountability for schedules, value for money and deliverables
- promote user centred design principles and best practice.
- Upskill and impart knowledge onto other members of the team to ensure user research is imbedded into everything we do.
In performing the role, the User Researcher will be expected to use a high level of knowledge and experience of agile development approaches s to fit large, complex, mission-critical, enterprise-level projects and with the appropriate level of planning and provide the right balance of agility and predictability.
Essential Skills & Capability
- Experience of working in implementing complex enterprise-level projects in an agile development
environment with User Experience teams, designers and developers to create new digital products and
- Proven experience of gathering user requirements for web based services
- Proven experience of managing, executing and analysing usability test sessions
- Experience of audience modelling and developing design personas
- Strong interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs with the ability to establish/maintain high level of
customer trust and confidence.
Desirable Skills & Capability
- Degree in HCI/Usability/Cognitive Psychology/Market Research or related field.
- Experience across web content, tools and transactional services, especially those with complex user
- Ability to support a progressive methodology to quality improvement
- Systems understanding - ability to reason about the system being built, what it is for and where its weak
points could be
- Familiarity with the GDS Service Design Manual and GDS toolkits.