Network Datacentre Engineer, Cisco
Network Datacentre engineer - Cisco UCS Blade B series, C series, VMWare, Storage, London.
WORLD LEADING TELECOMS HOUSE with plush modern offices in the heart of London, free gym, subsidised canteen and onsite bar, my client can offer a state art environment and a first class career at the forefront of the telecoms arena. A full benefits package, LARGE PENSION and LARGE BONUS are on offer. Flexible working hours.
The engineer will be responsible for maintaining the core datacentre platform as well as core technologies that are at the edge of the datacentre that integrate with the legacy operational networks. The Systems Engineer will be responsible for maintaining the VMware estate as well as maintaining the Cisco UCS B-series and C-series compute infrastructure. The candidate should have experience of storage solutions using Cisco FC switches and NetApp SAN’s. This role will require advanced Cisco UCS, VMware and storage related administration skills. The engineer will be expected to show expertise to support 3rd line support problem resolutions as well as demonstrate core design skills when participating in new project work.
- Troubleshooting and resolving problems within the datacentres
- Supporting root cause analysis of recurring issues which may require detailed scrutiny of large volumes of log files
- Ensuring that the datacentres maintain a high degree of security through the timely application of application and OS patches and releases
- Providing tools to automate repetitive tasks and to support efficient resolution of problems
- Work with vendors to stay abreast of industry best practice and make recommendations for the evolution of the datacentres and supporting systems
- Manage the lifecycle of hardware, applications and licences and ensure that vendor support is meeting service level agreements
- Provide out of hours support to the NOC as part of the on-call operations engineering team
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Degree or equivalent qualification in computer science or relevant technical/engineering subject
- Cisco CCNP/CCIE Data Centre or equivalent qualification
- VMware VCP or VCAP qualification with practical hands on experience of managing VMware estates.
- A minimum of 3 years+ Cisco UCS blade system practical experience.
- Knowledge of routing and switching and preferably hands on experience with Cisco datacentres switches
- Practical hands on experience of Cisco MDS fibre channel switches and NetApp SAN based products.
- Knowledge of Linux operating systems
- Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to present ideas and improvements in an effective and persuasive manner
- A practical, hands-on approach to problem solving with the ability to work effectively under pressure
- Self-motivated, willing to take responsibility and work with minimum supervision
- International Travel may be required for short periods of time.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience of using Cisco 1000v products.
- Experience with deploying Cisco Nexus products.
- Experience with Cisco ASA firewalls